Women’s Basketball bounces back against Saint Peter’s

For the second time in as many seasons, the Stony Brook Women’s Basketball team took on Saint Peter’s, this time at the Yanitelli Center in Jersey City. While the venue changed, the result stayed the same as the Seawolves defeated the Peacocks on Friday night, 69-35.

Senior forward Brittany Snow had a nice homecoming, playing in her home state of New Jersey and pacing the Seawolves with a team-high 19 points. She was a single rebound shy of her third consecutive double-double to begin the season.

In a game that Stony Brook dominated, Saint Peter’s most productive play came during the second quarter when the Peacocks outscored the Seawolves by four. The Peacocks ended the quarter on a 7-0 run, including a buzzer-beating three-pointer off the glass by junior guard Marcia Senatus.

“We are trying to score every time on offense and get a stop every time on defense,” Stony Brook head coach Caroline McCombs said on a radio broadcast after the game. “I don’t want them to worry about the scoreboard.”

The Peacocks were within striking range, but it did not seem as if McCombs’ team was looking back. Snow came out of halftime aggressively with two quick drives to the hoop that each coincided with a foul. She finished with 13 points in the third quarter alone to help put the game out of the Peacocks’ reach.

“I have to go out there and give it my all every game,” Snow said. “Because you don’t get another chance.”

Though Saint Peter’s shaky offense has failed to surpass the 38 point mark on the season, Stony Brook’s stellar defense should not go unrecognized. The Seawolves were everywhere defensively allowing the Peacocks to connect on just 28 percent of their shots.

Stony Brook also forced a season-high 23 turnovers. Junior guard Christa Scognamiglio led the team on the defensive side of the ball with a career-high six steals, the most by a Seawolf since 2011.  

Saint Peter’s finished the game with just 35 points. They were unable to get anything going outside of the second quarter and compiled just four assists on the night. The Peacocks had more steals than assists, despite having just five steals.

The Seawolves improved to 2-1 after suffering their first loss earlier in the week.