Tabler Terror Fest kicks off Halloweekend

tablerterrorfest
The Tabler Center for Arts, Culture and Humanities hosted a Halloween party on Oct. 30 where the theme was “Outbreak.” GRAPHIC CREDIT: ANNE MENDIS

On Oct. 30, the Tabler Terror Fest brought zombies, the Power Rangers and a werewolf together to jumpstart Halloween. This terrifying party took place in the Tabler Center for Arts, Culture and Humanities. The theme for this year was “Outbreak” and featured plenty of zombies.

As the students signed in at the doorway, they could also sign up for the Haunted Tour and participation in the costume contest. The event also featured a cauldron full of candy, where students could take as many pieces of candy as they wanted.

The party had several attractions that the students were drawn to. One was the Haunted Walk tour. Students walked down a hall where “zombies” were everywhere, attempting to scare the tour-takers.

Christian Martinez, a freshman biomedical engineering major, said “I haven’t gone into the room yet on the tour and I have a feeling that it’s going to be the best part, and I’m really excited to get the crap scared out of me.”

Once people entered the room, they could hear the screams of their fellow students walking in the haunted tour when being scared by the zombies.

Some students came because their friends were performers in the Haunted Tour.

“This party is closer to my room and I know a bunch of people who are performing and I have never been to this one before because I just moved to Tabler quad,” Abigail Zizva, a sophomore psychology major, said.

Aside from getting terrified by the zombies, students also had the chance to decorate cupcakes and pumpkins using several types of toppings and paint.

“I like the pumpkin painting, it’s cute,” Zizva said.

The Tabler Terror Fest also held a costume contest. The awards were divided into five different categories: “Funniest Costume,” “Scariest,” “Most Realistic,” “Flat Out Strongest” and “How Many Classes Did You Skip to Make This Costume.”

“The Facebook event hyped it up and the costume contest and everything,” Daniel Sockin, a freshman applied math major, said.

Students came to this party for a multitude of reasons, but in the end, this year’s theme of “Outbreak” had them not only terrified but entertained as well.