Glenn Dubin announces $5 million matching challenge grant

On Thursday, Glenn Dubin, founder and principal of Dubin & Co. LP, a private investment company, and his wife Eva announced the allocation of a $5 million matching challenge grant to the Stony Brook Athletics Department to be put toward the eventual construction of a new Indoor Training Center.

“With this challenge pledge, I hope to inspire Seawolves friends, fans and family to support current and future Stony Brook student-athletes,” Dubin said in a news release. “We wanted to kick-start this campaign and rally the Stony Brook community around the athletic department. Stony Brook Athletics has substantial and significant aspirations for the near future, and excellent facilities are a necessary component to realize these aspirations and achieve success.”

The pledge comes in the form of a matching challenge grant, in which the Dubins will match all gifts toward an Indoor Training Center Fund that the Athletics Department receives between July 1, 2015 and June 30, 2016 up to $5 million.

If contributors to the fund donate at least that amount, the department will meet its goal of raising $10 million for an indoor practice facility, part of its five-year plan released in June, “Together We Transform.”

One of the eight transformational elements listed in the plan is “Building First Class Facilities.”

An aspiration that was listed as part of the element is to “build a state-of-the-art indoor practice facility that can be used by all athletic programs during periods of inclement weather.”

The new facility will feature a 100-yard indoor multi-purpose synthetic turf practice field. It will be built near Kenneth P. LaValle Stadium and will be able to transform to allow multiple Stony Brook teams to practice.

Director of Athletics Shawn Heilbron cited the benefits of the donation for Stony Brook student-athletes in thanking Dubin in the news release.

“This new Indoor Training Center is the priority facility need for Stony Brook Athletics as part of our five-year vision,” Heilbron said in the news release. “I am extremely grateful to the Dubin family for their belief in our program and for their sincere generosity.”

The G&E Dubin Family Foundation donated $4.3 million to Stony Brook Athletics five years ago.

That lead to the construction of the Dubin Family Athletic Performance Center, which was completed and opened in 2012.

Dubin also donated $1 million a decade ago to create the Glenn Dubin Endowed Scholarship Fund.

Dubin, who graduated from Stony Brook in 1978, played football and lacrosse at the university.

An expected date of completion for the project was not announced in the news release.