Next on Netflix: Fargo is a go

Following its successful debut last year, “Fargo” returns Monday, Oct. 12 at 10 p.m. with another ten-episode season.

The crime drama, created by Noah Hawley, is inspired by the 1996 film of the same name by the Coen Brothers. The movie went on to garner widespread acclaim, with critics and viewers alike transfixed by its startling mixture of humor and violence. The show, set in the same fictional universe, acts as a spiritual successor to the film, containing countless references to the original.

While “Fargo” does draw significantly from the film, the show has been able to find its own footing and establish itself beyond the scope of the Coen Brothers’ original. Initially set to be a mini-series, “Fargo” was renewed for a second season after receiving outstanding critical and commercial success. The show was nominated for 8 Emmy Awards, winning two.

Rather than continuing the story of the first season and building upon its success, Hawley has chosen to make the series an anthology, in the same vein as shows like “True Detective” and “American Horror Story.” The coming season will feature a new cast of characters in a different town and time period, going back to the late ’70s during Ronald Reagan’s presidential campaign.

This new season focuses on police officer Lou Solverson (Patrick Wilson) as he investigates a particularly violent crime associated with a gang and a crime syndicate. Solverson also becomes part of Republican nominee Ronald Reagan’s (Bruce Campbell) protective detail during his campaign stop in Fargo, North Dakota.

After “True Detective’s” lackluster second season, many were worried that by reinventing itself, “Fargo” would lose the unique style and charm that made its first season so compelling. Thankfully, that does not seem to be the case. Early reviews have been as positive as they were for the prior season. Many critics have emphasized that the show has maintained its endearingly bizarre tone while also being much more cohesive than its predecessor.

Whether you’re a fan of the film, the first season, or a new viewer altogether, “Fargo’s” second season is shaping up to be a must-watch.