An inside look at New York Comic Con

Above is an entry at the qualifier for the Gunpla Builders World Cup at New York Comic Con in Manhattan. The winner at NYCC will become a semi-finalist for the tournament. CHRISTOPHER CAMERON/THE STATESMAN

New York Comic Con was held at the Javits Center in New York City on Oct. 8 to Oct. 11.

Passionate fans have waited almost all year for the convention.

New York Comic Con is an annual multi-genre fan convention that is dedicated to comics, anime, manga, video games, movies, television shows and toys.

It first started in 2006 and is a three-to-four day event.

People near and far traveled to the Javits Center to be a part of the annual gathering.

Cosplayers roam around the venue meeting with others who share the same passion.

Guest celebrities were scheduled to talk to fans at panels, and even sign autographs.

Kiosks and booths were open to fans. Providing everything from novelty items and collectible figurines to clothes.

Four days is just not enough for Comic Con goers to take it all in.

“My favorite part about Comic-Con is the people that get together once a year and dress up and have fun, look at the comics, meet up and talk about fan theories,” Peter Liang, 19, said. “I loved seeing the culture behind people who have the same interest,” he added.

Indeed, there are many circles of crowds scattered around, sharing their favorite comics and characters.

Most of the people there are donned in full costume.

“I spent almost $200 on this outfit,” Christina Gonzalez, 28, said as she showed off her Cardcaptor Sakura outfit.

The outfit was completed with a prop: her staff that was almost as tall as her.

“Last year, I spent more than $300 on Sailor Moon,” Gonzalez said.

She, as well as many others are committed to their passion.

However, some fans, though passionate, do not always dress up in costume.

Stony Brook Students joined in the fan festivities.

Stony Brook University students Idalia Velez, 21, only came with an Akatsuki shirt from the manga, “Naruto.”

Velez went to see Masashi Kishimoto on Friday, while her roommate, Dani Libasci, 21, went for the merchandise.

“I think it’s cool to have a bunch of nerds be able to freely express themselves in one central hub, and it gives people a reason to celebrate,” Velez said.

These “nerds” come and meet up with people they have met previously or online. They reconnect over their shared love with friends all over New York.

“You have to be a certain kind of crazy to be here,” Josh Gray, 27, said.

“I’m just mildly crazy.”

Gray is the manager of one of the biggest vendors at the court.

He represents Tri-Force, a manufacturer of high-end collectables featured at Comic Con.

These creative Comic Con fans make exact replicas of items from video games and comics.

Tri-Force which started as a small corner vendor in the beginning, sets up for all four days of the event.

Now, Tri-Force is located in the center of the arena, taking up a 60-by-30 foot space.

“I came few years ago and was introduced to Tri-Force and was hired after,” Gray recalled.

He was introduced by a friend and was hired from Pennsylvania.

Besides fan meetings and celebrity sightings, Comic Con is also a panel for job.

Comic Con culture has allowed many people to join together and freely express their love and passion.

Though the fans have been labeled “nerds” and “geeks,” they find it is reassuring to know that thousands of people of all different backgrounds and ages have the same interest.

The event brings people the opportunity to meet and greet celebrities as well as meeting up with other cosplayers.

In the meantime, Comic Con fans will continue to watch their anime, read their mangas and play their games.

Others will have  a lot of fun planning and creating their next elaborate, or not so elaborate, outfit for next year’s cosplay.

Correction: Oct. 12, 2015

The print version of this article mistakenly referred to Comic Con as “Comin Con.”