Wolfie’s Chocolate Factory makes for sweet times in the SAC

JESSICA CHIN/THE STATESMAN
At the event, students made their own sweet treats at the fondue station. There were graham crackers, marshmallows and other snacks for students to dip in chocolate.  JESSICA CHIN/THE STATESMAN

The chocolate wonderland of your childhood dreams came to the Student Activities Center in Wolfie’s Chocolate Factory, a Weekend Life Council event on Oct. 10, 2015.

The fun-filled event featured wall-to-wall candy, hot chocolate and a crafty candy jar decorating station.

Nearly 1,000 people were interested in the Facebook event, but only 300 were offered a treasured Golden Ticket.

“My hope is that when people come here they can just relax and be like a little kid again,” Anne Mendis, a chairperson for the event, said.

Lucky winners of the Golden Tickets (bright orange wristbands in this case) were eagerly waiting outside the doors of SAC Ballroom B.

At 7:05 p.m. they were allowed in and rushed to collect their candy and decorate their own Mason jars.

With the original “Willy Wonka” soundtrack playing in the background, attendees dipped five different kinds of marshmallows, including a pumpkin spice flavored marshmallow, into Wolfie’s chocolate fountain.

It took only 20 minutes for the first round of hot chocolate to run out.

“We came for the candy,” Emily Durcan and Erin O’Connell, an engineering science and an undecided major respectively, agreed.

“Enjoy the crazy amounts of candy and chocolate and fun and games we have in store for you,” the Facebook page for the event said.

Steven Morel, a Weekend Life Council staff member, said the event had to be moved to a bigger ballroom and a Google sign-up had to be created because of the interest in the event.

“It’s a good sign. It means our events are gaining more traction,” Morel said.

The candy rush slowed, the lights dimmed and attendees took their seats to watch the original “Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.”

The 1971 film is about a poor boy who got the opportunity of a lifetime when he got one of only five “golden tickets” in the world.

The tickets gave him special access to a mysterious chocolate factory that had been closed for years.

The mad-hatter like factory owner, Willy Wonka, led the exciting tour of the factory filled with surprises at every turn.

After the movie showing,  the Weekend Life Council raffled off prizes including giant candy.

“At every event we’ve had massive turnout and massive positive response. And it’s nice to know that people are coming during the weekend for our events,” Mendis said.

In honor of the classic film, here are six times Willy Wonka spoke like a true college student:

“And almost everything you’ll see is eatable, edible. I mean, you can eat almost everything.”

“So much time and so little to do. Wait a minute. Strike that. Reverse it.”

“A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.”

“Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker.”

“Time is a precious thing. Never waste it.”

“I’m terribly busy. A whole day wasted.”