Doherty records first shutout in Seawolves uniform in 2-0 win

_MG_8675_edit2_PC_BridgetDownes
Stony Brook’s junior goalkeeper, Emily Doherty (above, No. 24), did not let in any goals during the game against Albany on Thursday night, recording her first shutout in a Seawolves uniform. BRIDGET DOWNES/THE STATESMAN

Stony Brook Women’s Soccer collected their first conference win Thursday night at LaValle Stadium, defeating the Albany Great Danes 2-0.

Junior forward Raven Edwards provided the Seawolves with their first goal of the night in the seventh minute, unleashing a laser shot from about 20 yards out. The assist came from freshman defender Kaitlin Loughren.

Following the score, Edwards was responsible for each of the last five Stony Brook goals. She currently leads the team with six goals in total. Additionally, she almost had a second goal on clear path shot that narrowly missed, deflecting off the top right corner of the post and provoking a negative whimper from the crowd.   

Senior forward Emily Murrer ended Edwards’ goal streak with her score in the 61st minute on a deflection from an Albany player. The goal was Murrer’s second of the season.

“Can’t say enough about Emily’s goal because I think making it 2-0 really helped to relax us,” Seawolves head coach Sue Ryan said.

The influx of goals provided more than enough cushion for junior goalkeeper Emily Doherty, who provided the Seawolves with her greatest performance of her Seawolves career. She deflected all nine shots on goal in the game, giving her a career-high nine saves along with her first shutout and win in a Seawolves uniform. Her greatest plays came in the second half, when, on two separate occasions, she dove to deflect headers away from the net.

Though the Seawolves ended the first half up 1-0, Edwards’ goal was the only shot at goal the team had in the half while the Great Danes had four. 

In the 69th minute Albany’s senior goalie Alana Brennan left the game after suffering from an apparent wrist or hand injury, as she walked off the field with her coaches and trainer holding her arm. Brennan was coincidentally replaced by another Alana, sophomore goalie Alana Olivieri.

This was Olivieri’s first stint in goal during a game all season, as Brennan had played every minute up to this point. She got her first test when sophomore forward Manuela Corcho drove down field in attempt to score. Olivieri was ready and caught the shot.

Stony Brook improves its conference record to 1-2 as Albany falls to 1-2-1. The Seawolves will continue their conference schedule this Sunday, Oct. 11 at 2 p.m. when they take on the New Hampshire Wildcats, who are undefeated in conference play, at LaValle Stadium.