The club that raves together, stays together: The rise of the EDM Club

PHOTO CREDIT: SBU EDM CLUB
The SBU Electronic Dance Music club was officially recognized by Stony Brook University in the fall of 2014. Prior to that, it existed as a Facebook group for about half a year. PHOTO CREDIT: SBU EDM CLUB

Stony Brook University’s Electronic Dance Music club brings a new sound to Stony Brook’s student organizations.

The club looks to hold more events and having a larger impact on campus since its start last year.

The inspiration for the club was electric dance music, also known as EDM, and EDM culture as a whole, senior psychology and business major Inessa Royt said. Royt is the club’s founder and first president.

“I wanted to create a club where anybody that hasn’t found a place to fit in can feel free to express themselves without judgement,” Royt said.

The club was officially recognized by Stony Brook University in Fall 2014. Prior to that, the club existed as a Facebook group for about half a year. According to Royt, students used the group to post about anything EDM-related.

“The Facebook group has nearly 300 students so far. There’s always people posting mixes, both their own or something cool they heard online,” Royt said.

The club also has a Facebook page that currently has 75 likes.

Student feedback has been very positive so far. The club made its first appearance at the Involvement Fair this semester.

“Starting a club is hard but I think we’ve found a good group of people who are genuinely interested in what we’re trying to do,” senior psychology major and club’s current secretary Nicole Davis said.

The e-board members did not know what to expect for the Involvement Fair, but according to Syed Shahrez Zahid, a sophomore biochemistry and studio art major and the club’s public relations official and events coordinator, the club’s growth has been extremely organic so far.

According to Zahid, the club is very laid-back and appealed to a lot of people at the Involvement Fair.

This is because it is not an additional stress on students.

“When the club was beginning, we didn’t have an agenda,” Zahid said. “It just kind of grew out of nowhere.”

Shakia Miller, a freshman biology major, said that she thinks the club is a good idea because “a lot of people are into EDM and would enjoy having an option to actually be a part of a club.”

The club currently has a weekly podcast that gets posted in it’s Facebook group.

The podcast includes a track-list of songs created by the members of the club’s e-board and is shared on the club’s SoundCloud account.

“There has been a few so far, but now it’s going to be more often,” Royt said.

The club began posting podcasts this summer and will now be posted on a weekly basis in the Facebook group. They also are looking to get a radio show started on WUSB, which would benefit the club in terms of public relations, Zahid said.

The radio shows if initiated, would most likely include music that members of the club like, or music that was created by club members.

The show would also be open to submissions from people who are not in the club.

It would act as a good way to get people involved in creating music and getting people’s music heard, Zahid said.

“There’s a lot of ideas, there’s a lot of almost confirmed by a lot of the e-board members, but it all needs to be discussed and confirmed,” Zahid said, adding that the confirmation will happen very soon.

The EDM club also wants to have weekly shows with UCafé, which according to Zahid, are still in the process of being booked.

“A lot of students on campus are very interested in EDM music and culture but as we are a new club, we must work to become more known on campus and to plan more meetups,” Royt said.

Royt is hoping that the club can do more activities at meetings in the future, including playing music and bracelet making.

“Maybe in the future we can have workshops for people who dance and shuffle as well,” Royt said.

The club is hoping to hold its first big event soon in collaboration with another club or organization on campus, Royt said. The details are still being worked out.

Royt said that the club is full of people with different interests who all share a common love of EDM or EDM culture.

“It goes beyond just the neon clothing and flashing lights, Royt said, “We want people to able to feel comfortable with who they are and accepted, no matter who that is.”