Next on Netflix: A look at the show “Narcos”

From “House of Cards” to “Orange is the New Black,” it is obvious that Netflix knows quality television. Its latest effort, “Narcos,” is poised to fill the crime drama niche that has strangely been absent among Netflix’s original lineup.

Brazilian filmmaker José Padilha (“Elite Squad”) tackles the rise and fall of the infamous drug lord Pablo Escobar, interweaving gripping serialized drama with its historical context. One of Padilha’s frequent collaborators, Brazilian actor Wagner Moura, embraces his role of Pablo Escobar, going so far as to gain thirty pounds in preparation for the role. Boyd Holbrook and Pedro Pascal (“Game of Thrones”) play the DEA agents who go to extremes in their efforts to take down Escobar and his empire.

The series premiered on Aug. 28 to critical acclaim. Critics have praised the show for its grit and layered acting, citing Moura’s sympathetic portrayal as the standout.

While Netflix has yet to release any viewer ratings for its shows, including “Narcos,” it did renew the show for a second season, less than a week after its release.

The positive response has led many to believe that “Narcos” could become Netflix’s first critical darling on the international spectrum. “Narcos” is certainly not their first foray into this market.

Last year, Netflix released the highly anticipated and costly “Marco Polo,” another show that blended fiction with nonfiction.

Many reviewers criticized the show for its stereotypical portrait of Eastern culture, as well its over-reliance on the English language. Perhaps taking a cue from these critiques, “Narcos” relies on a balanced blend of Spanish and American language and culture. The show does not shy away from subtitles either. While this may turn off some viewers, it conveys an authenticity that is often neglected in American television.

With its daring subject and style, “Narcos’ proves that Netflix is not afraid to create quality shows that appeal to international audience.