“Jurassic World” takes a bite out of the classic with a modern spin

A scene from "Jurassic World." (Universal Pictures/TNS)
From left to right: Bryce Dallas Howard as Claire Dearing, Chris Pratt as Owen Grady, Nick Robinson as Zach Mitchell and Ty Simpkins as Gray Mitchell in the record-breaking new movie “Jurassic World.” The movie was the first to earn over $500 million globally in a single weekend, according to Variety.com. (Universal Pictures/TNS)

“Jurassic World” had a record-breaking opening weekend. So what does the new movie have that the classic 1993, 1997 and 2001 “Jurassic Park” movies did not? Bigger and badder dinosaurs, a beautifully designed futuristic theme park and a hot Chris Pratt kicking butt.

The movie is set on the same island off of Costa Rica where the original Jurassic Park was built. Jurassic World is supposed to be exactly what was envisioned for Jurassic Park; the luxury resort’s main attractions are the genetically engineered dinosaurs that every few years need to become bigger and scarier to keep the park-goers interest.

What could go wrong with this, right?

The movie, directed by Colin Trevorrow, is supposed to take place 22 years after the original Jurassic Park fails. This time, the park’s dinosaurs are no longer a “wow factor” on their own. The types of attractions seen in the movie are normal to these people.

Much like the first movie, the idea of going against nature and recreating dinosaurs for the purpose of entertainment and financial gain is one of the central themes. While it is shown that the initial intentions behind building the park are pure, there are characters who only see green in this business and do not view the dinosaurs as animals, but as ways to get richer.

Chris Pratt, famous for his role on the TV series “Parks and Recreation” and his starring role in “Guardians of the Galaxy,” played one of the leading roles in the movie. His character, Owen Grady, was formerly in the Navy and works at the park helping to train raptors. He views the raptors as animals, not as monsters and not as money makers. The raptors listen to him and he is able to control them.

His co-star Bryce Dallas Howard’s character, Claire Dearing, is the opposite. She is so busy with her job and trying to run the park that she never looks at the big picture and how things are getting out of hand with the test-tube dinosaurs.

Claire’s nephews, played by Ty Simpkins and Nick Robinson, come to Jurassic World to spend time with their aunt. Yet, she is so busy working that they are babysat by one of Claire’s assistants. Being two young boys, they find it fun to run off on their own.

In the mean time, havoc is breaking loose on the management side of the park when one of the park’s newest attractions that has yet to be released to the public, the Indominus Rex, escapes from its confinement. This escape is the first fallen piece in what becomes a domino effect. Soon, dinosaurs are killed and more are breaking loose and attacking the 20,000 guests who are stuck on the island.

At this point in the movie, the plot becomes much like the original “Jurassic Park,” with missing children in a dangerous situation and the drama that surrounds the park’s efforts to control the problem before everybody gets killed.

Then, for added drama, the character Hoskins, played by Vincent D’Onofrio, wants to use the dinosaurs as weapons and sees this opportunity as field test to see if the now-free dinosaurs can defeat the Indominus Rex.

Owen and Claire find that it is up to them to call the shots and help save the day. Pratt does a good job in his role by not over-acting or portraying his character as too macho.

Pratt and Howard display good on-screen chemistry. In the beginning of the movie, the viewers find out the two had previously dated. The two actors portrayed awkward sexual tension well and as the film progressed, their chemistry heated up as they worked together to save the boys, the park and themselves.

Does this all sound very cheesy and predictable? Yes, maybe it does. Yet, it is still enjoyable. If you cannot appreciate the plot of the movie, then you can at least appreciate the graphics and realistic-looking dinosaurs. The original Jurassic Park movie was one of the first for its time to use such intense visual effects and this newest movie matches, if not exceeds, the expectation for great visuals.

This movie gets your adrenaline racing as you watch the high-functioning Jurassic World fall apart. Plus, there are a couple of minor plot twists and an epic dinosaur battle at the end of the movie.

If you are a fan of the “Jurassic Park” series or just enjoy a good action movie that will keep you on the edge of your seat, then invest your money in “Jurassic World.” Put aside the debate on whether it is better than the original or not and just sit back and enjoy the action. It will surely entertain you.