Phish’s Joyous Return

‘Joy’‘ is not just the name of the new album from the reunited band Phish, but it is also the pure feeling rummaging through your ears and brain as you listen to the songs. ‘ From the opening track, ‘Backwards Down the Number Line,’ to the final throws of the last song, ‘Twenty Years Later,’ Phish has rejuvenated not just the spark that sets them apart as one of the greatest, most intelligent and innovative live acts to ever put forth art into the world, but for the first time — arguably ever — they have created an album of music every bit as sharp as their inventive instrument expressions are live.’

This album is clean, concise, and full of emotion.’ It sounds as a piece of art should: direct, poetic and original — not unlike the ‘Dark Side Of the Moon’ record from Pink Floyd (if you will forgive the comparison)

Even when played live the songs all — ‘Time Turns Elastic’ aside — translate tremendously. Part of really experiencing this musical quartet is to see Phish in concert, but here is as good a reason to listen to their studio results as you will ever get.’ The composition, lyrics, vocals, and funky grooves mark ‘Joy’‘ as the best grouping of songs that Phish has released in a number of albums.’

As much as I enjoy listening to their past records, I think ‘Joy’‘ is the first one where the band really utilized the studio to the advantage of their amazing songwriting.

The band is fresh, and clearly these songs have to be the mark of Phishs triumphant return.’ As guitarist Trey Anastasio sings in ‘Stealing Time From the Faulty Plan’:’ ‘I’ve got a blank space where my mind should be!’

Grade
    :’ A+