Bayne-Walker’s buzzer beater helps Seawolves end losing streak

(HEATHER CANNON / THE STATESMAN)
Kori Bayne-Walker (No. 5) scored 10 points  in Friday’s win over Morgan State. The sophomore guard also hit a game-winning layup with time expiring to help SBU end a four-game losing streak. (HEATHER CANNON / THE STATESMAN)

The Stony Brook women’s basketball team entered its matchup against Morgan State on Saturday with the task of putting an end to a four-game losing streak, and doing so without its leading scorer.

The Seawolves proved to be up to the challenge, as a game-winning basket from sophomore Kori Bayne-Walker allowed SBU to come away with a thrilling 50-48 victory.

Stony Brook improved its record to 4-5 and picked up its first road win of the season. The Seawolves were able to accomplish the feat without Sabre Proctor, who has averaged 16.8 points per game this season. The senior forward sat out of the game due to injury and is expected to return to action this Friday.

In her absence, the team had to collectively pick up the scoring load. Despite only shooting 31.3 percent from the field, Stony Brook did enough offensively to come away victorious. The Seawolves were particularly strong on the glass, getting plenty of second chances as a result of pulling down 23 offensive rebounds. Senior Jessica Ogunnorin had nine of those offensive boards and a total of 17 rebounds for the game.

Junior Brittany Snow led SBU with 11 points in the contest. Stony Brook also got 10 points from Bayne-Walker, and eight points apiece from junior Kim Hanlon and sophomore Christa Scognamiglio.

The Seawolves were able to maintain a small lead over the Bears for most of the first twenty minutes. Redshirt junior Miranda Jenkins ended the half in dramatic fashion when she banked in a running three-pointer at the buzzer to give SBU a 31-25 lead going into the locker room.

Early in the second half, Stony Brook’s offense went cold. Ogunnorin was able to convert a layup-and-one just 33 seconds into the half, but the Seawolves were then held without a field goal for nearly the next 13 minutes.

However, Stony Brook’s defensive effort was strong enough to keep the team in the game, and with 6:31 remaining, Scognamiglio hit a jumper to put SBU ahead 38-37.

The two teams went back and forth on the scoreboard during the final stretch of the game, and with less than a minute left in regulation, the score was tied at 48.

With 37 seconds remaining, Snow missed a go-ahead layup. Then, on the other end of the floor, Morgan State freshman guard Eva Myers was unable to convert on a three-point attempt. Bayne-Walker pulled down the defensive board before Stony Brook called a 30-second timeout with six seconds on the clock.

Coming out of the timeout, Bayne-Walker received the ball and was able to drive down the lane and convert a game winning layup with time expiring.

Stony Brook is now 5-1 all-time in games against Morgan State. They out-rebounded the Bears 54-37 in the contest, marking the first time the Seawolves have pulled down at least 50 rebounds in a game since they did so on Feb. 26 against Vermont.

SBU’s five-game road trip has now concluded. The team will now head home to take on Lafayette this Friday at Island Federal Credit Union Arena. Tipoff is set for 7 p.m.