College gal cooking: minty-coconut candy brownies

(GISELLE BARKLEY / THE STATESMAN)
National Brownie Day is celebrated on Dec. 8. The first brownie was created in 1893 at the Columbian Exposition in Chicago and it contained walnuts and apricot glaze. (GISELLE BARKLEY / THE STATESMAN)

Halloween is around the corner, and what better way is there to celebrate it than to make some fudgy brownies infused with candy bars?

According to New England Recipes, the chef of the Palmer House Hotel created brownies “during the 1893 [Chicago World’s] Columbian Exposition” when Bertha Palmer asked that the chef make a “lady’s dessert.” According to PBS, Palmer became the chairwoman of the Columbian Exposition’s Board of Lady Managers, in 1891.

She wanted the dessert to “be used in box lunches at the Women’s Building” for the fair.

This recipe is going to turn this American classic into a more non traditional dessert that you can eat at any time.

Ingredients:

1 box of Pillsbury Mocha Fudge brownie mix

¼ cup of water

2 eggs

⅔ cup of oil

8 York Peppermint Patties

4 Almond Joy bars

First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

While the oven is warming up, mix the eggs, water and oil into a mixing bowl.

After mixing the wet ingredients, pour the brownie mix into the mixing bowl and stir until the ingredients are mixed thoroughly.

Then, take the mint patties and the Almond Joy bars and chop them into half-inch pieces.

I put the candy into the fridge after I buy it so that it is more firm before I chop it. This is not necessary.

The size of these pieces can be bigger than half an inch. Regardless of their size, the pieces of mint patty and Almond Joy bars will melt while the brownies are baking in the oven.

Take the chopped pieces of candy and add them to the brownie mixture.

Stir the chopped pieces of candy into the mixture so that the candy pieces are distributed throughout the mixture evenly.

After mixing all of the ingredients together, pour the mixture evenly into a greased baking pan. Then, place the baking pan, with the mixture, into the oven and let it cook for at least 28 minutes.

Make sure that you check the brownies periodically to ensure that they will not overcook.

Do not cut the brownies immediately after taking them out of the oven because the brownies may fall apart.

Allow the brownies to cool in the pan.

After they cool for a few minutes, cut and enjoy your minty coconut brownies.

Brownies are pretty easy to make, especially if you buy pre-made brownie mix, but there are many ways to spice up the recipe.

The best of the brownies:

Nutella brownies, S’more brownies, Blondies, Classic chocolate brownies, Brookies

Tell us your favorite type of brownie recipe. Tweet at us @sbstatesman or tell us on our Facebook page.