Off-campus food establishments cited for health code violations

osolemiostonybrook.com
O Sole Mio, a popular eatery among Stony Brook students, was cited for not providing soap for  its employees to wash their hands with at the kitchen hand wash stations. (PHOTO CREDIT: OSOLEOMIOSTONYBROOK.COM)

Bagels N A Hole Lot More, which closed toward the end of the spring 2014 semester, and O Sole Mio, another popular eatery among Stony Brook University students, were cited for health code violations on Suffolk County inspection reports this past February.

Bagels N A Hole Lot More, which was located on Nesconset Highway in Stony Brook, had health code violations regarding food temperature.

According to Section 760-1332.3 of the county sanitary code, it is harmful for deli foods to be kept above 41 degrees Fahrenheit. The health inspector documented that two pounds of turkey breast were at 55 degrees and two pounds of ham were at 56 degrees.

Other deli meats that were above the health codes food temperature requirements were roast beef, bologna and various cheeses.

The restaurant inspection also documented that chain and cable fluid and T 9 Rust & Corrosion Protection Waterproof Lube were located on the prep table at Bagels N A Hole Lot More.

The store’s last inspection took place on Feb. 20, 2014.

Another popular restaurant cited for health violations was O Sole Mio, a pizzeria located on Nesconset Highway.

“No soap was provided for employees to wash their hands in the kitchen hand wash stations,” the inspection report sheet stated.

The report sheet also noted that the ricotta cheese from the refrigerator had been adulterated and contained a sour odor.

According to Food and Drug Administration standards, food is adulterated when it contains potential poisons or does not meet with the safety standards of a kitchen.

The food inspector also discovered that a package of goat cheese found in the refrigerator was contaminated with green mold.

The pizzeria serves typical Italian food such as pizza, pasta and garlic bread. Its last inspection was Feb. 26, 2014.

“I’ve not heard about these violations,” René Andersen, the advisor for the Undergraduate College of Arts, Culture and Humanities, said in an email. “ACH has not ordered food from them so far this semester. In years past I have always been satisfied with their food & delivery service.”

Sarah Slotnick, a sophomore history major, said that she was surprised by O Sole Mio’s health inspection report.

“The times that I went to O Sole Mio, the pizza was tasty and the building appeared to be clean and well managed,” Slotnick, who started working at Cool Monkey, a frozen yogurt store located in the same shopping center as O Sole Mio, four months after the pizza store received its health inspection report, said.

“Since the inspection we have placed food in different containers and fixed everything that needed to be fixed,” Maria, one of the managers of O Sole Mio who declined to give her last name, said.

According to the Suffolk County government website, “each year the Food Control Unit issues nearly 6,000 food service establishment permits, conducts more than 11,000 inspections and investigates approximately 600 consumer complaints.”

Eateries such as Bagels N A Hole Lot More and O Sole Mio are required to have random unannounced health inspections more than once a year. The health inspections look at the cleanliness of the store as well as how food is being stored and how employees are handling the food.

Suffolk County Department of Health Service’s goal in performing inspections is to “protect public health by establishing safeguards for the control of food and preventing consumption of unwholesome, adulterated or otherwise unfit food.”

Restaurants can get two different types of violations when getting inspected: critical violations and maintenance violations.

“A critical violation is more likely than other violations to be associated with foodborne illness, and must be corrected at the time of inspection,” the website for Suffolk’s Food Control Unit states.

Critical violations include a worker not wearing gloves when holding food or food not being at the right temperature.

Maintenance violations concern the structural integrity of the building or how clean the eatery is. These violations include unlabeled food containers and “grime on the equipment,” according to the Suffolk County government website.

Students who are interested in finding inspection reports for Suffolk County food and beverage establishments can go to the Department of Health Services’s online restaurant database and search for the name of the restaurant.