Pipe Leak Strips Kelly and Roosevelt Quads of Heat and Hot Water

Amanda Budha is one of many students who spent Sunday night in a friend’s room after Stony Brook University asked all residents to vacate Eleanor Roosevelt Quad.

According to Lauren Sheprow of the Office of Media Relations, a pipe serving Roosevelt and Kelly Quads on campus began to leak Sunday afternoon. This leak stripped all four buildings in Roosevelt and three of the five buildings in Kelly — Eisenhower, Baruch and Dewey — of their heat and hot water, according to SB Alert, an emergency notification system the university implemented.

Because the buildings would be unheated, students were advised to make arrangements to sleep elsewhere or have the university assign them temporary spaces somewhere else on campus. Students would be assigned to a space with a bed, a lounge or another student’s room, the notification said.

“I think it’s kind of a hassle,” Budha, a junior in Keller College in Roosevelt, said. “Stony Brook is just finding ways to piss people off in every way. I don’t feel like I need to leave. All I really need is hot water.

“We should be refunded for all the days we don’t have hot water, Internet or heat,” she said.

Budha would be staying in a friend’s room.

“I resent being kicked out of my room,” Marina Jabsky, a senior in Keller College in Roosevelt, said as she lifted on her jacket.

She said the resident assistants did a good job of notifying students, but that she thought students should decide. “I think it’s ridiculous. I think we’re old enough to see whether we can stay in 50-degree weather.”

Jabsky and her roommate would be staying at a friend’s dorm as well.

RA’s made rounds to inform students of the evacuation and of the heating problems, but even at 7 p.m., some students were still unaware.

“I didn’t hear anything at all. I feel terrible. I didn’t get hot water for two days and I actually thought it was coming back today,” Ed Suh, a junior in Keller said after reading one of the neon-colored evacuation notices posted on a door. “It’s f—– up,” he mumbled.

Even though signs posted around Keller said students must make arrangements to stay elsewhere, they did not make it clear students would not be allowed to remain in the building.

“Students may elect to remain in their dorm,” Sheprow said.

Amanda Haxer, quad director of Roosevelt, declined to comment.

“They told us that because there’s no heat, you have to leave,” Paula Bardales, a student of U5 status said. “I’m pissed off, to say the least.”

“It’s a pretty big inconvenience… telling unaware students they suddenly have to leave, when not everybody has transportation or a place to say,” said David Depouli, a senior in Roosevelt. “And this isn’t the first time they shut hot water off or heat on the students.”

Recently, the loss of hot water has been an intermittent problem throughout resident halls on campus. Some buildings lost hot water for a week in September 2008.

Matthew Lopatto, a freshman in Baruch College in Kelly, said he wasn’t going anywhere. “We are going to all just bundle up in sweaters and blankets and go to sleep,” he said. “The heat was been off for two days and it’s annoying they are just doing something now.”

E-mails from Campus Residences said heat may not return to the building until sometime Monday, but even as crews worked to fix the problem, it is not clear when the problem will be solved.

Kwame Opam, Frank Posillico, April Warren and Yi-Jin Yu contributed reporting.