USG will kick off the fall semester with some laughs

(PHOTO CREDIT: MCT CAMPUS)
The Undergraduate Student Government brought The Cataracts and Mac Miller to Stony Brook last fall. This year, USG booked comedian Bob Saget. Tickets will go on sale Aug. 28. (PHOTO CREDIT: TRIBUNE NEWS SERVICE)

There may be no better way to ease into another academic year than with laughter—and that is exactly what Stony Brook’s Undergraduate Student Government decided to do this semester.

Instead of kicking off the fall semester with a concert like last fall, USG invited former “Full House” star and stand-up comic Bob Saget to perform in the Staller Center on Thursday, Sept. 4 at 7 p.m..

Saget, who is known for playing the family-friendly role of Danny Tanner on Full House, is described by some people as “filthy” when it comes to his comedy. Students have the chance to discover exactly how filthy his stand-up comedy is, for free. Saget’s performance is covered by the Student Activity fee. However, students still need to pick up a ticket at the Ticket Office in the Student Activities Center in order to reserve a seat for the show.

But this show will not be the only performance taking place this fall. USG postponed this year’s fall concert because of its location. According to Danny Chung , USG’s Vice President of Communications and Public Relations, USG believed that having the concert in the university’s new arena was “the best option in all areas,” from security to acoustics and cost, to name a few.

“Without knowing when the arena would reach its completion we felt it would be wise to postpone the date of the concert,” Chung said via email.

But, Chung said that USG is always on the lookout for performers, lecturers and comedians who will be available on certain dates, without breaking USG’s budget—and Saget fit the bill.

After weighing the pros and cons of inviting a lecturer or comedian, Chung said that USG “determined that a comedian would be best for the beginning of the semester since it is more light-hearted and focused on entertainment.”

Chung believes that choosing a performer to come to the university depends on the performers cost, availability, relevance and past performances. He added to this saying that USG tries to balance these factors and choose a performer that Seawolves can enjoy.

Judging from the event’s Facebook page, Saget’s performance seems like a hit among students. As of Sunday afternoon, around 480 students have already indicated that they will attend Saget’s performance. This does not include the 76 individuals who indicated that they may attend the event.

On average, students who did comment on the event’s page appear ecstatic for Saget’s show at the university. A few alumni also commented on the page saying that they wanted to attend but were told that the event was for students who pay the student activities fee. There are some who  even posted their surprise that Saget is performing at a college, knowing full well that his performances are nowhere close to PG.

As for the fall concert, Chung stated that October would be USG’s ideal month to schedule the concert. Their goal is to have it as soon as possible. Chung gave away very little when discussing plans for the concert. He did say that USG is looking into various artists as well as genres.

“We have heard what the students have to say, and we are doing our best to bring a variety (in genre) to the fall [and] spring concerts,” Chung said. When it comes to booking performers—whether they are people in the music industry, lecturers or comedians like Saget—Chung restated that USG  does not only work to stay within their budget, but also strives select an individual who will appeal to the majority of Stony Brook students.