College gal cooking: burgers with a twist

Turkey burgers with a twist can serve four to six people and is a healthier alternative on a summer classic. (GISELLE BARKLEY / THE STATESMAN)
Turkey burgers with a twist can serve four to six people and are a healthier alternative to a summer classic. (GISELLE BARKLEY / THE STATESMAN)

School is out and summer is around the corner, which means that it is grilling season. But if you are like me and do not have a grill, you can still get a similar experience with a regular frying or grill pan.

One of the easiest things I like to make around this time of the year are burgers.

————————–

Ingredients

– 4 Ibs ground turkey

– 1 egg

– 1 tsp salt

– 1 tsp oregano

– 1/3 can of whole kernel sweet corn

– 1 ½ tbsp of whole kernel sweet corn water/juice

– 1/3 can of black beans

Instead of beef, I used ground turkey. Turkey does not bind or stick to itself very well, so mix an egg into the thawed ground turkey to make sure your patties do not fall apart when they are cooking.

Pour the salt, oregano, corn and beans into meat and then mix. Pour some of the juice from the canned corn into the meat to give it a little more flavor. I used my hands to mix the ingredients together, but feel free to use a spoon to get the job done.

Since I do not have a grill, I used a frying pan set at medium to high heat. To prevent the patties from sticking to the pan, spread some butter or vegetable oil on the pan before placing the patties.

Depending on the size or thickness of the patties, they can take 8 to 12 minutes until sides of the patty are cooked all the way through. You can also use a tooth pick to check if the center of the patty is cooked. Poke the patty with the toothpick. If the pick comes out clean, then the patty should be cooked.

If you want a side with your burger, you can pair it with potato or macaroni salad, coleslaw or fries. Otherwise, dig in and enjoy.

Submit recipe requests to arts@sbstatesman or tweet @gsllbarkley or @sbstatesman.