A closer look at Enclave

(ANUSHA MOOKHERJEE / THE STATESMAN)
Kameron Myers and Tzvia Pinkhasov, together known as Enclave, opened for Childish Gambino and Diplo at Brookfest this year. (ANUSHA MOOKHERJEE / THE STATESMAN)

“I have bad news…you’re opening for Brookfest!” Garry Lachhar said to Kameron Myers.

“I literally tackled him to the ground,” Kameron said. He was just given the biggest opportunity of his life thus far.

Kameron Myers and Tzvia Pinkhasov are two graduating pre-med students at Stony Brook whose musical talents gave them the opportunity to perform as an opening act for this year’s Stony Brook Brookfest.

The name Enclave was inspired by Myer’s favorite video game, Fallout 3. The name means a small group of people or small colony — a name that suits the dynamic duo.

Myers, 22, is from Potomac, D.C. He has played music for almost his whole life, since age four.

“I don’t like being told what to do,” Myers said about the piano lessons he received as a 4-year-old. In middle school Kameron was able to explore his musical talents. He taught himself how to make music.

In 2012, Myers and Pinkhasov teamed up to form a group called Enclave. She wrote the lyrics and he wrote the melodies, and they were a good team together, Myers said. He described the type of music that they made as “beautiful.”

Pinkhasov, who will be 22 in July, was born in Queens but moved to Nassau County. She came from a musical family.

Her father was a drummer, and her mother was going to be a conductor. She described having a family band, where she would sing, her younger twin brothers would play the bass and guitar and her father would play the drums. They played Led Zeppelin together.

Although Pinkhasov has a very musical family, she said she is the one who takes it seriously.

When Myers told her that he was given the opportunity to perform at Brookfest, her response was: “I’m going to sing something, right?!”

Pinkhasov was excited about sharing the stage with famous musicians, Childish Gambino and Diplo. But, she admitted that she was more nervous to meet Diplo than to actually perform at the concert, despite the fact that it was the largest performance she had ever done.

Balancing her passion for music and studying is hard for Pinkhasov, but she said if something is your passion then you make time for it. She always tries to find ways to stay involved with music as much as possible. She collaborates with other artists and sings jazz on campus.

“I would rather keep it in my life even if it meant I wouldn’t get a 4.0 GPA,” Pinkhasov said. She said that during school time, music is something that helps to keep her sane.

However, with Pinkhasov focusing more and more on her studies, Myers received the opportunity to work on his own music and create a sound different from the music the two would play together.

He describes this new sound as more energetic, saying it is “something you can nod your head to.”

Brookfest was definitely the biggest show he was able to play. He often performs at the University Café, where he met his manager, Danny Vykhopen, back in 2012.

“He’s a great manager and a great friend,” Myers said.

Both Myers and Pinkhasov said that their parents are very supportive of their music, but Pinkhasov thinks that her family would prefer her to be a doctor.

“I always want music in my life in a way that is more than a hobby,” she said. She’s not certain about a music career because she knows it is difficult, but she plans on keeping that door open.

As far as Myers is concerned, there are two paths that his life can go down at this point. “If I could do music for the rest of my life, I would be the happiest kid,” he said.

His dream job would be anything to do with music, preferably performing 365 days a year. Pinkhasov feels a similar way. She described how she has such a strong passion for music.

Both Myers and Pinkhasov will continue their way to medical school in the near future, but music will still be in their lives regardless.