Beth O’Boyle takes home Met Writers Coach of the Year award

(PHOTO CREDIT: AMERICAEAST)
Beth O’Boyle, coach of the Women’s Basketball team, receives the Met Writers Coach of the Year award. (PHOTO CREDIT: AMERICAEAST)

The Met Basketball Writers Association made a big reveal for Stony Brook Women’s Basketball this Monday, announcing that they had named coach Beth O’Boyle the Met Writers Coach of the Year.

Coach O’Boyle is in only her third year as the head coach of the women’s basketball team, leading them to a 24-9 overall record, the best ever in Stony Brook history.

The Seawolves had a 13-3 America East record, good for second place in the conference. The team capped their season with their second ever appearance in the WNIT, after falling to Albany in the America East Championship.

SBU also finished in the top 50 in the nation in points allowed per game and 20th in rebounding margin.

The award will be given to O’Boyle at the 81st Annual Haggerty Awards Dinner Tuesday night at the Westchester Marriot in Tarrytown, N.Y. She will be honored along with her star forward Sabre Proctor, who was named to the All-Met third team.