Murphy once again named America East rookie of the week

(ANUSHA MOOKHERJEE / THE STATESMAN)
Courtney Murphy’s playing has earned her a fourth America East Rookie of the Week honor. (ANUSHA MOOKHERJEE / THE STATESMAN)

Big news came for Stony Brook freshman lacrosse player Courtney Murphy this Monday, as the America East named her Rookie of the Week for the second consecutive time.

Murphy had a fantastic week, tallying four goals in two games. Three of those goals came against rival Albany, where she played a big part in getting the win. She also contributed a goal in the team’s comeback win against Yale later in the week.

This is Murphy’s fourth America East Rookie of the Week honor, just another accolade in what is one of the greatest rookie seasons in Stony Brook history.

Murphy has totaled 41 goals this season, leading all freshmen in the country in scoring. Her season already ranks eighth most in single season scoring for the Seawolves, with three more games to go. She is only five goals away from Kaitlin Leggio’s freshman record of 46 goals in a season. She set the record for most goals in a freshman debut for the Seawolves, with seven against Bucknell.

Murphy is currently fourth in the team in shot percentage, while taking the second most shots. She has also contributed four assists, placing her third on the team with 45 points. She has rounded out her year with 10 ground balls while only committing seven fouls.

The Seawolves will hope to see more of Murphy’s hot streak as they hope to finish the regular season strong. The team is riding a nine-game win streak, due in no small part to Murphy’s play. They will face off against New Hampshire this Sunday in hopes of locking down home field advantage in the America East tournament.