Stony Brook baseball splits doubleheader with Hawks

3.18.12_yale_efalsayed_sigma-1
The Seawolves split the first two games of their weekend series in Hartford, before the third game was postponed due to poor weather and field conditions. (EFAL SAYED / THE STATESMAN)

With dominating pitching performances carrying both teams, the Seawolves and Hartford split a doubleheader on Saturday.

Only two runs were scored on the day, with the Hawks winning game one and Stony Brook taking game two.

In the first game, Hartford starter Sean Newcomb combined with reliever Alex Gouin for a one-hit shutout.

Stony Brook starter Frankie Vanderka, who racked up accolades this past week after throwing his third career no-hitter last weekend, went the distance but couldn’t get the win.

He allowed just one run on three hits over eight innings, walking three and striking out four for his third complete game of the season.

Unfortunately the offense couldn’t back Vanderka up.

After the Hawks scored the game’s only run in the fifth—Hartford’s Adam Touhey started the inning with a triple and scored off a sac-fly—the Seawolves had an opportunity to retaliate in the sixth.

Stony Brook loaded the bases on three walks, but junior Kevin Krause lined out to shortstop to end the inning.

Krause battled back to record the Seawolves’ only hit in the ninth, but Stony Brook did not have enough fuel to bring him home—Gouin retired the final two batters to end the game.

Game two went much the same way, but this time it was the Seawolves who came out on top.

Hartford’s Brian Hunter battled against freshman starter Ryley MacEachern, who threw his first career complete game shutout.

MacEachern retired fourteen of the first fifteen batters, holding the Hawks to just three hits.

The Seawolves scored the only run of the game in the fourth inning, after a squeeze bunt from sophomore Johnny Caputo brought senior Kevin Courtney home.

Courtney had singled to get on base to start the inning, moving to second off a sac-bunt from junior Cole Peragine and third after a Casey Baker single.

MacEachern controlled the game after that, refusing to allow any Hartford runner past second base.

He ended the game with three hits, no walks and seven strikeouts.

The Seawolves drew six walks and had seven hits on the day, while Hartford had six hits and drew three walks.

Krause was the only SBU player to record a hit in both games.

Baker went 2-for-3 in game two. Stony Brook catchers Krause and senior Anthony Italiano combined to throw out three potential base steals in the doubleheader.

Due to the inclement weather, Sunday’s rubber match was moved to Monday. The Seawolves and Hartford will close the series in Connecticut on May 31. First pitch is at 3:30 p.m.