Seawolves defeat Maine 65-49

With an impressive 65-49 win at Maine, Stony Brook women’s basketball moved into second place in the America East Conference.

An all-around solid performance, Coach Beth O’Boyle’s team did not need to pull off their typical Houdini tricks, taking an early lead and never letting go.

With four players in double digits and another right on the border, everybody had a part in the sixth win of the conference schedule for the Seawolves.

Keeping up their identity, Stony Brook was phenomenal on the boards, outrebounding Maine at the Cross Insurance Center 45-30, getting many second-chance opportunities by winning the battle of the offensive glass 16-9.

As the snow fell on Stony Brook’s campus Sunday afternoon, Brittany Snow dominated down low, grabbing. Eight rebounds to lead the team.

Only taking a few shots for the game, she added three points and an assist in the victory.

Surprising nobody was junior Sabre Proctor, overcoming a slow start to once again reach double digits, scoring 11 points against the Black Bears.

With two early fouls, it was hard for the forward to get going, leaving the scoring column of the stat sheet blank in the first half.

With a 12 point lead as the buzzer sounded at the 20 minute mark, Proctor dominated a second half in which a reasonable lead ballooned to 27.

Senior Chikilra Goodman lead the team with 12 points, converting on 6 of 9 field goals she attempted.

The guard didn’t just put the ball in the basket, but distribute and rebound as well.

With five boards and six assists, Goodman, having her best year as Seawolf continues to contribute in all facets of the game.

Guards Miranda Jenkins and Kori Bayne-Walker got in on the act, both dropping 10 points each.

The guards have continued to get more and more minutes, making the most of them in every game.

As Stony Brook gets deeper into the season, the more depth, the easier it will be to compete.

The Seawolves come home to Pritchard Gymnasium on Thursday night to take on rival Albany, giving O’Boyle’s team a huge opportunity to move into first place in the conference.

The Seawolves will take on conference-rival Albany Thursday, followed by an away game with Hartford on Super Bowl Sunday.