Campus briefing: University events at focus of debate in USG senate

Vice President of Student Life Garry Lachhar describes changes made to the credential policy proposed in October. (PHOTO CREDIT: BASIL JOHN)

A focus on revising USG event policies and procedures was at the center of the latest Undergraduate Student Government senate meeting. USG focused on amending their legislation on event-related policy changes, including a new Appropriations act and a new Credential policy.

One of the main issues that had remained on the table since it was introduced in October  was the update USG’s credential policy for university events. The Senate, with 17 of the 18 senators present supporting the new policy, passed the newest measure.

This new legislation establishes the criteria for obtaining event passes, ranging from all access to VIP passes. The new policy also requires that those who apply for credentials must get signatures from the executive council members, specifically the President, VP of Student Life and VP of Communications.

The USG policy provides automatic passes for executive board members and other USG officials including the Treasurer and Administrative Director along with law enforcement officers and emergency services.

The Senate decided to send this policy back to the Legislative Review Committee on Oct. 26.

The policy states that if anyone misuses these credentials, the law enforcement officers at the specific event have the power to revoke privileges. The removal of the individual would also fall to a joint agreement between the VP of Student Life and either the USG President or Administrative Director, to ensure that the power of removal is not abused by any individual executive board member.

Vice President of Student Life Garry Lachhar said the changes were to make the system more efficient. “We just wanted to make sure there was a check on it so you couldn’t just say you don’t have a pass anymore,” Lachhar said.  “We put in that the USG Administrative director or the President has to be present as well as my position of VP of Student Life…we just wanted to make sure there was a check on that.”

During the meeting, the Senate also passed the Appropriations Act #2 which involves the purchasing of staging for SAB events with a unanimous vote of 18-0.

The Act was sent back to the USG Budget Committee on Nov. 14 after debate over how to divide the payment of staging ended in a deadlock.

The passed bill would use $6,000 from the USG Student Activities Board from its $585,000 budget, $3,000 from the USG Executive Council from its $5,000 project fund and $3,000 from USG Communication from its $11,000 budget. The total $12,000 dollars will go to the USG Audio/ Visual Services.

This act is believed to “save significant money for USG clubs that use the staging” and also help “cut costs significantly for the USG Student Activities Board” by not having to continue using staging from rental companies, according to the legislation’s findings.

The university’s expected new staging would be potentially utilized for USG sponsored events including the spring “Brookfest” concert.