Seawolves crush rival Albany

The Seawolves defeated Albany 4-0 on Sunday. Photo by Jisoo Hwang

The Stony Brook Women’s Soccer team came into Sunday’s rivalry match against Albany coming off of a heartbreaking defeat Thursday night against 2012 America East Finalist Hartford in overtime.

This was a great opportunity to blow off a little steam from that game, and who better to do it against then Albany.

Larissa Nysch scored two goals, and Christina Fluman scored her first collegiate goal and added an assist, and the Seawolves controlled the match from start to finish in a 4-0 defeat of the Great Danes on Sunday at LaValle Stadium.

Stony Brook got the first goal of the game from Larissa Nysch, a header from 25 yards out. Queli Ornelas fed Shannon Grogan down the right side of the field, and Grogan crossed it in to find the head of Nysch, who recorded her 7th goal of the season with 33:30 to go in the first half.

Nysch wasn’t done and neither were the Seawolves. Christina Fluman scored her first collegiate goal when she drove a close-range shot into the top right corner of the net to give the Seawolves a 2-0 lead with 26:09 left in the half. “I was trying to get it on frame and keep it as low as possible” the Pittsford, New York native said.

“It’s an incredible feeling and a relief to get the first one out of the way” she added.

The third Seawolves goal was scored by Nysch again, this time in the second half with 28:41 to go.

Fluman played a lob down the middle of the field, and Nysch flew past the last Albany defender, and blasted it past keeper Alana Brennan, who had 11 saves on the night.

Stony Brook would add one more, and it was the first of the year for Tessa Deveraux, as she took a pass from Queli Ornelas about 30 yards out, and put it into the top left corner of the net, giving the Seawolves the final goal of the game and the result that they wanted.

“You have to treat each game individually,” coach Sue Ryan said after the game. “Teams can go in two different directions after that result. Getting those first two goals in the first half showed we are going in the right direction”

The Seawolves now have a goal from 12 different players on the roster this season, which presents great balance and a huge threat to teams in the future.

“It makes us harder to defend” Ryan said. “Having a balanced attack and scoring from a multitude of ways is a big positive”.

The Seawolves will look to stay unbeaten at home (currently 7-0) when they take on second-place UMBC on Thursday night. Kickoff is scheduled for 7:00 p.m.