Staller Center Celebrates 25 Years With Big Names

Audra McDonald will be performing at the Staller Center. (Photo Credit AudraMcDonald.net)

As Stony Brook University kicks off a new year, its students and staff have a reason to be thankful for the building with those big steps covered in grass, other than it being a good place to relax. This year is the 25th  anniversary of the Staller Center, where all types of art and culture are expressed to the student body every year to wide acclaim.

Since its inception in 1988, it’s been home to acts ranging from dance troupes and acclaimed jazz bands to musical theatre and other events for all ages. Originally called the Fine Arts Center in 1980, Stony Brook’s central hub of art and culture always had its doors open to  students and the general public. This coming year will be no different, with Staller opening its doors to the likes of the Emerson String Quartet, writer David Sedaris, violinist Midori, the Salzburg Marionette Theatre performing “The Sound of Music” and many more. The biggest name this year is comic legend Bill Cosby, who is set to appear at the fundraiser Gala. This year marks  one of the most diverse lineups of performers to date.

According to Staller Center Outreach Coordinator Paul Newland, the planning for the 25th anniversary included  Alan Inkles, the director of the Staller Center, planning events and scheduling guests “at least 2 years in advance.” Newland also mentions how Inkles sought out talent.

“Alan goes to showcases around New York and around New England to look for possible guests. He would always pay attention to the audience reaction,” Newland said, “If the act he saw impressed him and the audience, he would see that act as something the students would really like.”

The Staller Center also sees that there is no need for a seasonal theme for their acts. They keep their lineup very diverse in order to reach a wide audience, but to a “younger generation,” as Newland mentioned. It’s a smart strategy, considering the wide range of interests that the students bring to the university. Theatre buffs will enjoy the return of Asylum Theatre with David Lindsay-Abaire’s acclaimed play “Kimberly Akimbo.”

One of America’s premier dance groups, Mark Morris Dance, will be coming this year, as will other returning events.

The Staller Center also noticed something that students took a real liking to when it first debuted some years ago: The Starry Nights experience, which had been welcome to good fanfare when it was brought to Stony Brook before. Keeping with its diverse range of acts, the center is also welcoming the Kamikaze Fireflies and their acrobatic skills. That show is part of their Not Just for Kids series, meant to bring in families from around the area. These events do not have a common theme to them, but it is simply meant to reach the widest audience possible. Newland, Inkles and fellow professor Kent Marks always listen to what the audience has to say about events and guests. They listen to what audiences are interested in, what they have seen before and what they would like to see in the future. It takes many hours of scheduling and can be stressful to prepare, but it’s the passion for the projects that keep the staff going. They talk about having previous guests like Whoopi Goldberg, Mandy Patinkin, the London City Opera and others with such excitement that it is easy to see how proud they are of having such talent come to our university.

The names keep coming as the year goes on: Broadway favorite Audra McDonald will return to Stony Brook this November with a display of classic show tunes and movie songs. December comes with the Big Band Holidays with Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra.

Accompanied by Wynton Marsalis and Cécile McLorin Salvant, the band will be performing classics by the likes of Duke Ellington, Count Basie and other memorable performers from the swing era. After the winter break, Staller will host an all-star, intercontinental guitar showcase. Classical guitarist Sharon Isbin will join jazz legend Stanley Jordan and Brazilian guitarist Romero Lubambo to provide their own version of classic and jazz style. Dance is expressed by the Krasnoyarsk National Dance Company of Siberia and the Dance Theatre of Harlem. Jane Monheit and Jon Batiste will further represent jazz when they  take the center stage in the spring of this year. But the biggest draw Staller has to offer is their guest of honor at the 2014 Gala: comic legend Bill Cosby. A man whose work has been passed on from generation to generation, he will perform comedy and be present at Staller’s annual fundraising event.

It may be the silver anniversary for the Staller Center, but the talent brought in makes it shine like a diamond. Being the cultural hub for Stony Brook is not the easiest task to manage on occasion, but it’s certainly worth it. Whether people come for music, dance, theatre or film, the longevity of Staller proves that it is an essential place for students and the public to see (and even suggest) a display of culture.

Happy birthday, Staller Center!