Student activities offers web opportunity for campus clubs

The Quidditch Team is also funded and promoted by The Department of Student activities. (JISOO HUANG)

Stony Brook University’s Division of Student Life has continued to improve and expand its services and programs in social, cultural, academic and guidance development for community commitment and student success.

“We work hand in hand with clubs and organizations,” Andrew Dertram, a business management major who works at the Stony Brook University Student Life office, said. “We’re in charge of programs and providing care and coverage on campus.”

The university has a wide variety of more than 300 recognized student clubs and organizations on campus which includes sororities and fraternities.

The Division of Student Life creates learning opportunities for students to develop guidance and direction on their personal and academic advancement.

The division helps promote and support clubs and organizations. The division also helps clubs with advertising, paperwork, funding and other needs of the organizations.

The Department of Student Activities manages student groups and organization. Stony Brook Student Life Organizations are different from Student Activities.

“The office of student activities purchased an online system called Campus Labs, which we call Stony Brook Life,” Diane Redo, assistant director for student activities, said.

Redo suggested that Stony Brook Life is the Department of Student Activities’ involvement portal that houses all registered clubs and organizations on campus. The  Department of Student Activities ensures that registered clubs and organizations are housed.

The Department of Student Activities is responsible for helping to advertise clubs. The department works with the organizations to make sure all the organizations are running and operating.

Students are benefiting from their organizations. The Department of Student Activities launched the SB Life system on Aug. 6, 2012.

“Students are getting on board,” Redo said. “This is a great online tool to view campus fliers, join clubs and know about all the clubs and organizations that are registered on campus.”

The Department of Student Activities wanted students’ feedback and insights on their organizations. The department received mixed reviews and positive feedbacks from all users.

“We just launched a feedback survey for all users and we have mixed reviews, that are expected whenever a new product hits a market,” Redo said.

The Department of Student Activities provides quality service to student life organizations. The department allows students to register their clubs on campus. It also provides sufficient knowledge on how to plan events on campus.

The Undergraduate Student Government (USG) is responsible for budgeting the undergraduate student activity fee and funds. “We are your resource for anything that pertains to your club and we assist students who are funded by USG and Graduate Student Organizations,” Redo said.

SBU-TV, a media organization, provides students a chance to be a part of the learning experience.

Students have the opportunity to work in video and television.

“Students learn video production skills such as storyboarding, shooting with a camera, and video editing with Final Cut Pro,” Angelo Lambroschino, the president of SBU-TV, said.

Lambroschino suggested that students are encouraged to create their own programs.

Students can prepare their films and help organize film ideas.

Although the media organization is lacking equipment and funding from USG, the organization provides free educational sessions to students.

Students have the opportunity to be part of the SBU-TV Film Festival on April 12 at 7 p.m. Students can produce short films for the film festival showcases.

SBU-TV had movie review shows, a news show, a sports show, and sport skits.

“Students love the club,” Lambroschino said. “They like that we provide both a professional and fun learning experience.”

Clubs and organizations give students opportunities to participate in sports. The Stony Brook

University Table Tennis Club allows students to participate in tournaments each semester.

Students are able to compete at a collegiate level with other universities. The club holds regular practice hours every week.

Students improve and develop their table tennis skills. “Table Tennis offers a space for all students no matter what skill level to enjoy playing table tennis or ping pong with other students,” Brian Andres Delgado, president of Stony Brook University Table Tennis Club, said.

The club offers both a recreational and competitive environment to students. The club helps students break away from academic stress.

Delgado suggested that table tennis contributes to a person’s physical fitness and eye coordination. The sport can improve the person’s speed and decision making skills.

He insisted that curiosity and relief are among many of the student’s reactions. Students are relieved that they found a ping pong club rather than settling for the ping pong tables at their dorms. Students are curious because they weren’t expecting the sport at the Campus Recreation Center.

The club has to deal with the lack of space and limitation of meeting times. “The club is responsible for providing the best space and equipment possible for students to play ping pong,” he said.