Craft Center offers classes to teach students new skills

The Craft Center offers free sessions for students to get involved and keep their projects. (Andrew Zhang)

The Craft Center, located on the lower level of the Student Union, offers free craft projects as well as non-credit instructional classes for students.

Every Tuesday from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. in room 081 in the basement of the Union, students can partake in free weekly craft projects. On select Mondays during the semester, the Craft Center will also have a fashion studio, where, according to the Craft Center website, students can participate in activities such as jewelry making and shirt stamping.

One of the best offers the Craft Center has are the non-credit courses that are open to students, staff and community members aged 17 and older. Students are given discounted rates and pre-registration is required. In order to register, students can visit the Craft Center website at and click on the “Register for  Classes” link and send in the attached form and check or cash payment. Walk-in registration is also available Monday through Thursday in room 049 of the Union basement.

One of these non-credit classes subjects is bartending, and it is offered through the university. Two six-week courses are being offered. Section A is six Wednesdays, and it begins on Feb. 13; section B is six Thursdays and begins on Feb. 28. In this introduction to bartending class, students will learn the basics of mixing drinks using simulated liquors and bar management. The cost for students is $80.

Anyone looking to reduce the points on their driving record or get a discount on his/her auto insurance can sign up for a $30 defensive driving course. The course is on two Thursdays–Feb. 21 and Feb. 28–from 6 to 9 p.m. in the Student Activities Center, room 305. Participants of the course can remove up to four points from their driving record and are eligible to get a discount of 10 percent or more on their car or motorcycle insurance for three years.

Another class option is for artists. Those who want to draw, regardless of previous experience or conceived talent, can sign up for a five-week drawing class beginning on Feb. 21. The cost for students is $50. The class is on five Thursdays beginning on Feb. 21 from 7 to 9 p.m.

The ceramics studio in Union 049 also has memberships available for $70 for students.  The membership begins on Feb. 11 and ends May 10. The studio is open Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 11 p.m. and Saturday and Sunday from 9 a.m. to 11 p.m. Ceramic classes come complete with membership to the ceramics studio. “Pottery on the Wheel” will be an introduction to using a pottery wheel, and it will also cover glazing and surface design.  The five-week course has classes available on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday.

The cost of the course, including the ceramic membership, is $85 for students. Also available is “Hand Build in Clay,” which is described as a great intro to ceramics. It teaches various methods of creating pottery. The cost of the course and membership is $85. It is on five Tuesdays, beginning Feb. 19 from 7 to 9 p.m.

For more information on how to get involved in these classes, visit the Craft Center website or call (631) 632-6822.