Fall television: A year in review and a season’s preview

Whether it is a prime time drama or a cult comedy, almost everyone has a TV show he/she keeps up with.  This upcoming fall season, there are plenty of quality returning shows and countless new programs with a lot of potential. But what can viewers expect from all these programs?  Here is a preview of this upcoming television season and a quick reminder of some of last season’s most popular shows. Beware, there are spoilers ahead.

New TV show previews:

“666 Park Avenue:” Sunday, Sept. 30 at 10 p.m. on ABC.  This drama features stars like Vanessa Williams (“Desperate Housewives”) and Dave Annable (“Brothers and Sisters”).  Featuring a cast of Upper East Side dwellers who have each formed a pact with Satan to have all of their desires met,  this show looks like it is going to be a mix of the sexiness and sleaze of “Gossip Girl” and the supernatural elements of “Once Upon a Time.”

“The Mindy Project:” Tuesday, Sept. 25 at 9:30 p.m. on FOX.  Mindy Kaling (“The Office”) is a single woman and OBGYN trying to maintain her self-control and not appear desperate while still having an active love life. It looks like it is going to try and mix the quirkiness of Tina Fey on “30 Rock” with touches of doctor romance like “Grey’s Anatomy.”

“Nashville:” Wednesday, Oct. 10 at 10 p.m. on ABC.  Connie Britton (“Friday Night Lights”) is a washed up country star that needs to freshen up her act with someone talented and young: Juliette Barnes, played by Hayden Panettiere (“Heroes”).  It has some southern antics along with sexual escapades, so it has some “GCB” style mixed with the country music aspect of the movie “Country Strong.”

“Revolution:” Monday, Sept. 17 at 10 p.m. on NBC.  Some of the minds behind “Lost” and “Supernatural” came together to produce this show, where the world no longer has electricity.  A band of characters must figure out why the power just disappeared.  No surprises that it has a “Lost” feeling of endless mystery and confusion to it as the characters navigate the political landscape to determine what happened to them.

Returning show recaps:

“Grey’s Anatomy:” Thursday, Sept. 27 at 9 p.m. on ABC.  Last season saw the death of Lexie Grey and the firing of Teddy Altman.  However, Lexie is likely to not be the only casualty, as creator Shonda Rhimes has not clarified who will stay or who will go.  There are many characters, Meredith, Derek and Cristina included, who are left stranded in the woods.  There could still be some deaths to come in the early part of the season.

“The Big Bang Theory:” Thursday, Sept. 27 at 8 p.m. on CBS.  The core guys had a lot of developments in their love lives.  Sheldon and Amy are advancing, Raj got a girlfriend, Leonard proposed and Howard got married.  Howard also took off into space.  The gang is going to have to deal with the results of their relationship advances in season six.

“Glee:” Thursday, Sept. 13 at 9 p.m. on FOX.  Graduation hit McKinley, and that sent the members of New Directions all over the place.  Rachel is in New York, Finn is in the army, Quinn is at Yale, Mercedes is going to California and etc., but “Glee” creator Ryan Murphy has stated that everyone is coming back. It is going to be interesting to see how season four works with splitting time in Lima and New York City.

“Gossip Girl:” Monday, Oct. 8 at 9 p.m. on CW.  This show has been a rollercoaster of drama, and it is finally coming to an end with a shortened season six.  However, there appears to be no end of shenanigans the characters will be involved in.  Serena (a la season 1) was on a train to who knows where doing drugs, Blair and Chuck are “all in” and Dan has teamed up with Georgina to create a second novel.  It seems that this season will not be letting audiences down with the level of drama.

“Community:” Friday, Oct. 19 at 8:30 p.m. on NBC.  The fan favorite and critically acclaimed ratings nightmare has made it to season four of “#sixseasonsandamovie.” Audiences will be introduced to Jeff’s dad, as well as seeing Britta cohabitating with Troy, Abed and Annie.  The study group will be tackling a whole mess of meta jokes at Greendale for a shortened, and possibly final, season.

“Modern Family:” Wednesday, Sept. 26 at 9 p.m. on ABC.  After a rather heart wrenching scene with Cam and Mitchell, they decide that they want another child, but the process is a little more difficult than they thought.  At the same time, Gloria is having no trouble producing children.  As for the actual children already on the show, Haley got into college.  Season four of the popular sitcom will see the whole family reacting to Gloria’s big news.

“Once Upon a Time:” Sunday, Sept. 30 at 8 p.m. on ABC.  Magic was released into Storybrooke just in time to see all the characters remember their true selves. They remembered who they really were after the curse on Henry was broken.  There will be plenty of new characters in the upcoming season as well as an explanation as to why these remaining characters were not put back into the fairy tale land.

“The Vampire Diaries:” Thursday, Oct. 11 at 8 p.m on CW. After her car accident, Elena was infused with vampire blood.  She will now either die or be transformed.  As the main character, it is not likely she will die, so in the upcoming season she will be turning into a vampire.  Audiences are not going to lose Tyler or Klaus either.  The season will watch as everyone deals with the transformation and emotional changes they all must contend with.