Maysonet set for another big season

Miguel Maysonet was a standout player when he played for Riverhead High School, and he has been impressive thus far during his stint on Stony Brook’s football team.

As a senior in high school in 2009, he was New York State’s Gatorade Player of the Year. And now, almost four years later, he currently holds Stony Brook and the Big South Conference’s record with 1,633 yards and 15 touchdowns in one season. He also holds the title of most rushing touchdowns that Stony Brook has ever seen, with a total of 27.

Back in July, Maysonet was named to the Walter Payton Award Watch List, but he still remains humble and levelheaded when he discusses his goals for the 2012-2013 season. This season, Maysonet says he’s simply focused on contributing to his squad and coming out with a win after every game.

“It’s never a personal thing,” Maysonet said. “It’s always about the team. The Walter Payton award is definitely a great award to be nominated for, but at the end of the day, it’s always a team effort, because without my teammates, there’s no possible way I’d be able to be on the list.”

With running back Brock Jackolski now gone, Stony Brook decided it was in its best interest to find someone who could fill the void. Marcus Coker transferred to Stony Brook from Iowa and is expected to burst onto the scene as one of the most talented players on Stony Brook’s team. Maysonet admits that he looks forward to sharing minutes with the former Iowa Hawkeye.

“Marcus is definitely a high caliber player,” Maysonet said. “Even though we lost Brock, I don’t think we’re going to miss a step on the field. I think Marcus is going to come in and just be a great asset to our offense.”

In early August it was announced that Stony Brook would be leaving the Big South Conference and joining the Colonial Athletic Association starting in 2013.

The move is a tremendous step forward for the football team that has continued to get better. Maysonet acknowledged how far the team has come in recent years.

“It’s changed dramatically,” Maysonet said. “It’s basically night and day. Even from when I was in high school and coming in, it was like, ‘wow, we’re growing and you see it from then to now and we’re there, we’re legit, we’re a force to be reckoned with.”

Maysonet is a fierce player on the field. His speed and agility are apparent with each run he makes and he bursts through the seams ferociously. He’s a team player, but he also knows how to take control, make big plays and score touchdowns. Stony Brook will kick off their season on Sept. 1 against Central Connecticut, and all eyes will be on the star running back. This will be Maysonet’s last season with the Seawolves, and he’ll want to make it one to remember.

“We want to build on what we did last year, but we can’t live in the past,” Maysonet said. “We have to keep pushing towards the future and come out every single day, and practice hard.”