Women’s lacrosse wins fourth straight game

The Stony Brook women’s lacrosse team extended its winning streak to four games on Wednesday night after it defeated UMBC 16-6 at LaValle Stadium.
    With the victory, Stony Brook remains 2-0 in the America East and is now 9-3 overall. With the loss, UMBC falls to 4-7 overall and 1-2 in the conference.
    The Seawolves scored 12 of their goals in the second half, with half of them coming from junior Janine Hillier  The six-goal game was a season-high for Hillier, who also had one assist. Freshman Michelle Rubino and junior Claire Petersen also greatly contributed to the win against UMBC on the chilly Wednesday night on Stony Brook’s campus.
    Petersen had three goals and two assists, and Rubino scored two goals, one assist and had six draw controls. Rubino has now become Stony Brook’s all-time single-season leader in draw controls with 68, exceeding the record, which stood at 63.
    UMBC’s Lindsay Cox and Taelar Errington led their team with two goals apiece, but it wasn’t enough to keep up with Stony Brook’s outstanding offense and rough and tough defense.
    Sophomore goalkeeper Frankie Caridi  made nine saves for the Seawolves in their victory.
    UMBC kept up with Stony Brook at the beginning of the match, and it was only down 4-3 before halftime. However, the second half worked in Stony Brook’s favor, and its aggressive offense led it to several unanswered goals.
    Hiller scored at 19:33 and 13:39, to make it 10-5 Seawolves, and the Long Island team didn’t look back after that.
    At 7:23, Cox scored for UMBC, making the score 11-6, but the Seawolves dominated after that, outshooting UMBC 26-20.
    The Seawolves’ next game will be against Vermont on Saturday at LaValle Stadium at 1 p.m.