Softball take five of six games at tournament

The softball team dominated the Florida Gulf Coast Tournament this weekend, winning its sixth straight game in the process.

The Seawolves demolished Howard University, 13-1, and St. Francis University, 10-3, on day one. On day two, they beat Colgate University, 9-4.
They also beat Utah in extra innings, 1-0. This is the first time they have ever beaten a Pac-10/12 opponent.

Freshman Allison Cukrov, the America East Pitcher of the Week last week, has recorded 50 strikeouts in 40.1 innings pitched this season and now has a 4-2 record with a 1.74 ERA.
On day one, the Seawolves had a combined 27 hits against their opponents and outscored the opposition 23-4.

Run-scoring singles from senior Bernadette Tenuto and junior Gina Bianculli helped give Stony Brook a 4-0 lead after the first inning in game one.

Howard scored a run in the bottom of the third, but five Stony Brook runs in the third inning, two in the fourth and two more in the fifth brought the game to an early conclusion.
Senior Suzanne Karath went 2-for-4 with two steals. The Seawolves were a perfect 6 for 6 on steal attempts.

Cukrov earned her third win after coming in to replace starting sophomore Alexandra Clark in the third.

In the second game, the Seawolves again scored nine runs in the first three innings to beat St. Francis.

Sophomore Christine Lucido struck out five and hurled a complete game, making her record 3-0.

Stony Brook stole five bases against St. Francis. Sophomore Nicole Hagerty had two, including a steal of home.

On day two, the Seawolves scored six runs early on to defeat Colgate. They batted around in the first inning, drawing seven walks and sending nine batters to the plate before Colgate recorded an out.

Sophomore Nicole Schieferstein was the only player with a run-scoring hit in the inning, when she hit a single that scored Hagerty. The Seawolves scored their other runs thanks to a wild pitch and four runs walked in.

Pitcher Taylor Chain allowed eight hits, but recorded her first win of the season. She struck out five and lowered her ERA to 4.20.
Stony Brook played Utah, a Pac-10/12 team, later on that day. They beat the 17-4 team after eight innings of play.

Cukrov dominated, recording 12 strike-outs.

With both teams scoreless after seven, the game went into the eighth with a runner on second-base, as per tournament rules.

After Utah could not convert the extra base into a run, the Seawolves opted to try and bunt their runner, Bianculli, to third. However, Schieferstein’s hit a pop-up, leaving Bianculli on second.

A wild pitch by Utah pitcher Generra Nielson then moved her to third, with Hagerty at the plate.

Hagerty hit a sacrifice fly to left to score Bianculli and give Stony Brook the win.

Cukrov allowed Utah only three hits, with the Seawolves outhitting them 5-3. Cukrov also allowed only one walk.

Stony Brook split its final two games in a weekend tournament in Ft. Myers, Fla. It defeated Georgetown 4-3 in the first game, but lost 1-0 to host, Florida Gulf Coast.

Florida Gulf Coast scored the only run of the game, with their first batter of the game. The Eagles’ Jessica Barnes led off with a home run off Seawolf starter Cukrov. Cukrov struck out seven, one game after striking out 12.

Stony Brook only managed fits hits off Eagles’ starter Amanda Josie. Six Seawolves hit better than 0.300 over the weekend.  Senior Alyssa Hawley led the way by going 8-for-17 (0.471) in the six games. Cukrov went 2-1 with 24 strikeouts and a .41 ERA in 17 innings.

In its first game Stony Brook trailed 3-2 in the bottom of the eighth inning, but came back to extend its winning streak to seven.

With runners on second and third and one out, Karath brought in the tying run by tapping the ball down the first base line, but a throwing error brought in the go-ahead run for the Seawolves.

Lucido threw eight solid innings and improved to 4-0 on the season. She held Georgetown to just six hits and one walk.
Stony Brook scored first by bringing in two runs in the fifth inning. Sophomore Jessica Combs led the inning off with a double and scored on a fielding error on a ball hit by Bianculli. Hawley drove in Bianculli with a single to make it 2-0.

Georgetown tied the game in the seventh inning on a two-run home run by Mackensey Carter. They later went up in the eighth on a Cara Savarese RBI single.
Stony Brook will play their home opener Wednesday against Texas Tech. The doubleheader is scheduled to begin at 2 p.m.