Men’s lacrosse drops home opener to Marist

Stony Brook men’s lacrosse team fell just short of winning its first game on Saturday. Three goals from seniors Robbie Campbell and Russ Bonanno were not enough, as Marist defeated Stony Brook 10-9 in the Seawolves’ first home game of the 2012 season.

Marist’s Connor Rice scored with 36 seconds left in the game to give the Red Foxes a 10-9 victory.

Rice’s game-winning goal, his third of the game, came from a cross-crease pass from Jack Doherty, who also scored three goals. Rice led all players with five points in the game.

Redshirt freshman Mike Rooney and junior Nick Watson scored two goals each for the Seawolves. The game was close all afternoon, and the teams went into the fourth quarter tied at seven.

Freshman transfer Mike Andreassi won five of Stony Brook’s 10 face-offs and won the opening draw of the final quarter to give the Seawolves some momentum.

After a Red Fox flag, Campbell picked up a loose ball and scored unassisted, 33 seconds into the quarter.

Rooney then hit the post a minute later, which would have put Stony Brook up 9-7. But Rooney did eventually score one possession later. That goal gave Stony Brook its only two-goal lead of the game.

Doherty pulled Marist within one by scoring a man-up goal with 5:55 left. A failed Stony Brook clear led to the Red Foxes’ next goal, which tied the game at nine.

Stony Brook had one final possession after a holding call off of the face-off. Campbell almost tied the game for the Seawolves, but he was called for a crease violation, which gave the ball back to Marist.

Both of Watson’s goals gave the Seawolves one-goal leads. Six ties and five lead changes happened in the first 45 minutes of play.

Senior Jared LeVerne had three ground balls and three caused turnovers, and junior Jeff Tundo had a goal and two assists for Stony Brook. Stony Brook also had six penalties, which amounted for seven minutes.

Stony Brook’s next game comes March 10 against Delaware, who upset No. 8 Villanova 13-9 this past week.