South Koreans have mixed reaction to Kim Jong-il’s death

SEOUL, South Korea — Many people waiting for a train in a station in downtown Seoul, were watching TV in the waiting room, but what they saw didn’t seem to bother them much.

In a train station alone, the reaction of North Korean leader Kim Jong-il’s death was quite mixed.

“I do not care of his death too much,” Byung Ho Kim, 31 Busan, said. He said that he thought it was just an every day person’s death, and not one of a North Korean leader’s. “It is not a big deal to me.”

Kim also said that the leader’s death would not have effects on the present relationship between North Korea and South Korea.

Another person, who wanted to be anonymous, also said that Kim Jong-Il’s death, which came after a heart attack earlier this week, was neither good nor bad to her, but said she did not want to think the man deserved to die.

“As a human being, it is not right to blame him after he died,” she said. “He is also one person. How can we say that death is good?”

Others reflected on what having the leader’s son, Kim Jong-un, become leader could mean for the two neighboring countries.

Hyun-jun Kim, 23, of Seoul, said that there would not be a dangerous situation in the future.

“They have a lot of things within their country,” Kim said. “Provocation to South Korea could be possible, but if they began a war, it would be bad for them, not to us.”

On the other hand, one person raised a question of Kim’s death itself.

Seung Mo Park, 38, of Seoul, thought that it could be a trick.

“I have a doubt of his death and also have a question to the relation of both Koreas,” Park said. “But, I wish that the relation would be improved.”

The death of Kim Jong-il marked the end of a 17-year reign on North Korea, after his father, Kim Il-sung founded it.