An ode to love and loss: Exploring Del Water Gap’s album “I Miss You Already + I Haven’t Left Yet”

Musical artist Del Water Gap’s album cover for his new album “I Miss you Already + I Haven’t Left Yet.” The sophomore album was released on Sept. 29 on various streaming platforms. PUBLIC DOMAIN

Indie-alternative singer Samuel Holden Jaffe, known professionally as Del Water Gap, found inspiration for his sophomore album “I Miss You Already + I Haven’t Left Yet” — released on Sept. 29 — from a nine-word message written by his grandfather above a poem from a William Carlos Williams book.

Jaffe first rose to fame in 2021 after releasing his self-titled debut album, which quickly propelled him to international recognition. Through his music, he delves into profound experiences of love and existential uncertainty. “I Miss You Already + I Haven’t Left Yet” dissects the psychological concept of anticipatory grief while exploring the emotions of loss one experiences during moments of uncertainty.

The 12-track album begins with the experimental song “All We Ever Do Is Talk,” which serves as the album’s first single. The song is an ode to the initial stages of a relationship and the bittersweet emotions that arise from the suspicion that the relationship will not last. In the album’s second track “Losing You,” Jaffe explores themes of regret and longing, providing the essence of a 1990s Britpop hit. 

In the wake of Jaffe’s poignant lyrical journey, “NFU” and “Gone In Seconds” both depict a sense of regret but differ in melody and sound. In the former, Jaffe expresses the consequences of miscommunication. Contrastingly, the latter is a far more ethereal track that details the aftermath of a romantic relationship that ends suddenly. Jaffe illustrates the pain of unspoken feelings, desperately missing the connection he and his partner once shared. 

In the indie-pop track “Doll House,” Jaffe emphasizes the importance of continuous understanding within a relationship. He details the act of simply standing by someone, regardless of the circumstances. While Jaffe’s dreamy vocals add a unique layer to the song’s atmosphere, it is ultimately one of the album’s weaker tracks due to its underdeveloped lyrics. It seems as though Jaffe relies a bit too much on the idea of romantic entanglements in his music.

In a departure from the themes of longing and regret in his previous tracks, Jaffe explores his struggles with emotional anxiety in the songs “Gemini” and “Coping on Unemployment.” In “Gemini,” he grapples with feelings of doubt in a romantic relationship. The song alludes to his mixed and contradictory emotions and the internal conflict he is experiencing.  On the other hand, “Coping on Unemployment” similarly navigates emotional yearning, but in a different context. Straying from the previous romantic tracks, Jaffe deals with the the difficulty of fully committing to someone when there are uncertainties and emotional barriers, while he reflects on the challenges he faces in maintaining sobriety.

Glitter & Honey” is a lighthearted track in which Jaffe describes a chance encounter with a mysterious woman who leaves a lasting impression. The song exudes a sense of sensuality that sets it apart from the others. However, in contrast to the album’s depth of emotional lyricism, “Glitter & Honey” may appear superficial in its lyrical premise. As a result, some might find this song easier to skip.

One of the more album’s memorable tracks is “Beach House,” which describes darker parts of addiction such as dissociation and internal conflict. These sensitive topics allow Jaffe’s evocative lyricism and descriptive imagery to shine through. Jaffe spends the song in a dissociative state; the first line indicates his use of a drug like ketamine, commonly known as “K,” while listening to music by the band Beach House. In the track, he shares his desire to seek refuge in sweat and cigarettes, which he metaphorically describes as a destructive habit. 

Quilt of Steam” and “Want It All” dive into the complexity of desire, sharing a common theme of craving change. Nevertheless, each track approaches this theme from different sides of the same coin. 

“Quilt of Steam” envelops listeners in a dreamlike ambiance layered by Jaffe’s lovelorn vocals. In this track, Jaffe discloses the need to change after experiencing moments of loneliness following a recent loss that left him dealing with emotional overload.

Meanwhile, “Want It All” is a folk-rock track that explores the challenging process of letting go of a bad habit while still yearning for it. Within the broader context of the album, it follows a central theme: longing. In this song, Jaffe explores his troubled relationship with his future, skillfully blending desperation with hopefulness. This is a recurring message that he conveys throughout the 42-minute album.

In the album’s concluding track, Jaffe depicts a relationship filled with intense emotions — one that he must move on from but still holds dear. “We Will Never Be Like Anybody Else” is a piano-led track filled with intimate imagery. While it deviates from the other indie-alternative and rock sounds, this closing track feels like the perfect way to finish the album. It mourns the loss of the concrete aspects of a relationship while exploring the attachment associated with that past phase of Jaffe’s life.

As Jaffe acknowledges life’s fleeting nature through several of the album’s regretful tracks, he delivers a notable blend of romance and emotional reckoning. Compared to his debut album, “I Miss You Already + I Haven’t Left Yet” delves further into the profound complexities of existence, allowing his heartfelt lyrics to outshine his past work.

Del Water Gap is currently on his North American tour called “I Miss You Already + I Haven’t Left Yet.”