10 not-so-scary Halloween movies to check out this October

A Halloween graphic showing the films “Coraline” (top left), “The Addams Family” (middle) and “Hocus Pocus” (bottom left). There are many Halloween movies to watch to keep the spirit alive without having to be scared. ILLUSTRATED BY ANGELINA LIVIGNI/THE STATESMAN

It’s finally October, ushering in what we call “spooky season” — a time for pumpkin picking, Halloween, ghosts, spiders and, of course, horror movies.

Every week it seems that there is a new horror movie coming out in theaters, and every weekend your friends are trying to convince you to watch their favorite scary movie. But what can you do if you simply can’t stand being scared?

Here is a list of movies that you can suggest viewing instead, keeping the Halloween spirit alive while also being able to peacefully sleep at night.

The Addams Family” (1991) and “Addams Family Values” (1993)

Of the numerous film adaptations of “The Addams Family” since the family’s debut in a 1938 New Yorker comic, the 1990s editions seem to have the most enduring appeal. The films revolve around a family whose members share undying love for each other — a stark contrast to their macabre interests and occasionally gruesome appearances.

The extravagantly gothic backdrops and excellent cast performances come together to create a series of stories that have stood the test of time. Even today, people look back at the love shared between Morticia and Gomez and yearn for similar connections in their lives. 

With the success of Tim Burton’s “Wednesday” on Netflix last year, now is the perfect time to rewatch these classic films. I have always preferred the sequel, but I’ll leave it to you to decide which is your favorite.

Beetlejuice” (1988)

Given the recent Broadway run of the musical and the confirmation from Warner Bros. of an upcoming sequel, there has never been a better time to watch Burton’s “Beetlejuice.” The story focuses on the feud between the deceased inhabitants of a house and its new owners. All the while, the demon Beetlejuice does anything he can to wreak havoc and help the previous owners scare the new tenants.

The classic Burton film explores the clash between gothic and conventional lifestyles, with particularly great performances from Winona Ryder as Lydia and Michael Keaton as the titular Beetlejuice. It embraces a facetious yet chaotic narrative, knowing how to draw humor from dark topics such as death and demons. 

If you are in the mood for classic Halloween entertainment, “Beetlejuice” is definitely the way to go — especially so you can understand why you absolutely should not say the name Beetlejuice three times.

Hocus Pocus” (1993)

“Hocus Pocus” is the story of the Sanderson Sisters, three witches who were executed during the Salem Witch Trials but resurrected 300 years later by a magic spell. Throughout the film, they actively pursue Max, the boy responsible for their resurrection, attempting to become immortal.

The standout features of this movie are the amazing performances by the Sanderson sisters. It also executes a fish-out-of-water story, where a character is dropped into a brand new environment with no knowledge or context, leading to hilarious scenes where the 17th and 20th centuries collide.

The spooky imagery and funny jokes make this cult classic a great choice if you are looking for a light-hearted Halloween movie.

Little Shop of Horrors” (1986)

If you have not yet seen “Little Shop of Horrors,” you are missing out. The film has something for everyone: music composed by Alan Menken, an emotional yet funny Rick Moranis performance, stunning puppetry and a sadistic dentist torturing Bill Murray.

The plot follows Seymour, a flower shop employee who gains overnight fame for his gigantic talking plant. In order to remain famous and win the love of Audrey, his crush, Seymour must supply the plant’s unusual craving for human blood. Despite its dark elements, the film actually depicts a comedic and heartwarming love story.

If you enjoy the film, then I also encourage you to see the off-Broadway musical version, especially since actor Corbin Bleu recently joined the cast.

The Nightmare Before Christmas” (1993)

This stop-motion classic has been dominating the Halloween movie genre for the last 30 years. It is a seasonal staple at the Disney theme parks, with its protagonist Jack Skellington hosting the firework show at Mickey’s Not-So-Spooky Spectacular each October. The film is also featured in countless fan tattoos and even referenced in the song “I Miss You” by Blink-182.

“The Nightmare Before Christmas” follows Jack, the disillusioned Pumpkin King of Halloween Town, who yearns for something more in life. His accidental discovery of Christmas Town leads him trying to convince his fellow residents to host Christmas instead of Halloween, and in the process he grows closer to his friend Sally. 

If you haven’t seen it yet, then you have to check it out; if you already have, you should definitely watch it again. The film features iconic music by composer Danny Elfman, gorgeous stop-motion claymation and a beautifully relatable Halloween story.

Coraline” (2009)

This debut stop-motion feature from Laika Studios, based on Neil Gaiman’s children’s novel of the same name, has become one of the most beloved scary movies for kids of our generation. “Coraline” follows the titular young girl named Coraline Jones, who, when upset with her parents, discovers a door in her house that leads to a secret world that turns out to be far more terrifying than she initially thought.

The animation in this film is truly exceptional. For example, Laika Studios had to invent a new method of stop-motion animation to be able to bring this story to life. The company would be the first to use replacement faces made by a three-dimensional printer. The attention to detail is astonishing — you can watch the film a dozen times and still notice something new.

While this film is somewhat scarier compared to the other movies on this list, it is definitely worth watching this Halloween.

The Rocky Horror Picture Show” (1975)

This cult classic holds the record for the longest-running limited theatrical release in film history, continuing for an impressive 48 years since its premiere. It is famous for its midnight Halloween cinema showings in which audiences can act and sing along with the cast. 

The story revolves around a young couple who find themselves in a castle run by a cross-dressing alien named Dr. Frank-N-Furter, who bestows life into a man he has created. It is an off-the-walls, eccentric science-fiction musical that celebrates LGBTQ+ culture. 

“The Rocky Horror Picture Show” is so much fun and best enjoyed with a group of friends on a late October evening.

It’s The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown” (1966)

Compared to the bright and boisterous “The Rocky Horror Picture Show,” the classic Peanuts holiday special “It’s The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown” is tame and soft-spoken, featuring catchy music, calming animation and a cute story.

This 25-minute special is about the Peanuts kids trying to see the mysterious, gift-giving Great Pumpkin. In spite of teasing from the other kids, Linus and Sally provide heartwarming displays of faith in the Halloween equivalent of Santa Claus.

The classic Peanuts specials are beloved for a reason and are perfect to watch while relaxing after a busy day.

Over the Garden Wall” (2014)

Although “Over the Garden Wall” was released as a limited animated series on Cartoon Network, it is a quintessential Halloween viewing. Only ten episodes in length, the series has a total watch time of an hour and a half.

The story follows brothers Wirt and Gregory through a supernatural forest as they encounter its weird and magical inhabitants. The animation style perfectly fits the fall theme that people love about October, while the story and its characters evoke deep emotional connections with the audience.

After I was first introduced to the show in high school, it became a mandatory viewing of mine each year to get myself in the mood for the autumn season, and I hope it will do the same for you.