A new era of superhero cinema: ‘Blue Beetle’ explores gentrification and superpowers

The official poster of the 2023 film “Blue Beetle.” The movie premiered on Aug. 18. PUBLIC DOMAIN

This review contains spoilers.

Premiering on Aug. 18, “Blue Beetle” takes the traditional superhero genre to a new level with humor and relatable character dynamics.

The third of four movies from DC Comics to release this year, “Blue Beetle” quickly became the first film to dethrone “Barbie” at the domestic weekend box office. However, it has not managed to make much of a lasting impact. Directed by Ángel Manuel Soto, the film stars Xolo Maridueña from “Cobra Kai,” along with Bruna Marquezine, Susan Sarandon and George Lopez. While it delivers a basic but compelling introduction to a seemingly-obscure character, it does not offer what people want to see in theaters.

The film introduces us to a charismatic performance from Maridueña as Jaime Reyes, a recent first-generation college graduate. He obtained a degree from Gotham Law University and aspires to become a lawyer to support his family. After meeting Marquezine’s character Jenny Kord, Jaime comes in contact with an ancient scarab that enters his body and makes him the titular Blue Beetle. Jenny’s aunt, portrayed by Susan Sarandon, targets Jaime and his family to steal back the scarab.

Initially, Jaime is unable to control his own powers, and a disembodied voice named Khaji-Da is in control of his mobility. This leads to humorous action scenes where Reyes aimlessly flies through Palmera City, battles villains and accidentally destroys a bus. These sequences make it all the more satisfying when he is finally able to control his powers at the end of the movie and protect his family from harm.

A central theme in the movie is the conflict between the powerful Kord Industries and the Hispanic community that resides just across the water from headquarters. The company’s complex dominates the city’s skyline, with its circumference occupying a large area along the waterfront. It looms in the background of shots from the Reyes’ house, constantly reminding them of its presence as they struggle due to the rising costs in the area. 

Jaimie’s possession of the scarab intensifies the tension. By building its headquarters near the community, Kord Industries attracts larger and wealthier groups of people to the area, which naturally increases living costs. This is a common phenomenon referred to as gentrification; these issues spark a range of responses within the Palmera City community. George Lopez portrays Rudy, Jaime’s outspoken uncle, who mistrusts the corporation. He is an inventor and previously developed a machine to disrupt signals being emitted from the company, which he uses halfway through the film to help Jaime break into their building.

Why has a well-made superhero movie with a compelling message struggled to find success at the box office? Even though Variety declared its victory over “Barbie,” the publication also said that “Blue Beetle” “stumbled.” One influential factor is the ongoing Screen Actors Guild-American Federation of Television and Radio Artists strike which prevents actors — including the cast of “Blue Beetle” — from promoting their movies. Actors were unable to connect to broader audiences through televised interviews and viral clips, which helped promote movies like “Barbie” and “Oppenheimer” earlier this summer.

Another contributor to the movie’s short-lived success could be superhero fatigue: the idea that audiences have grown tired of superhero films in recent years and are no longer turning out en masse as they once did. This is certainly an argument to be made here. This year, there have already been two DC Comics movies, three Marvel movies, and a film titled “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem”; there are expected to be even more superhero films to come before the year ends. Perhaps people did not want to spend their money to see yet another superhero story play out. 

Despite all of this, “Blue Beetle” provides a classic superhero narrative featuring the first live-action Latino superhero. It has impressive action sequences and humor and is anchored by a strong family dynamic. For those with free time this weekend, this superhero film is definitely one worth watching.