Stony Brook University Lookbook Vol. 2

The official graphic of Stony Brook Lookbook. This edition focuses on outerwear for the winter season. GRAPHIC BY JOCELYN CRUZ

Welcome to the outerwear edition of the Stony Brook Lookbook. It’s winter on Long Island, which means every outfit has a coat to go with it. Layering is required to stay warm during walks to class, and oftentimes a bonus accessory comes from layering a unique coat. 

A cropped black puffer by Miranda Argyros. JULIA HEMING/THE STATESMAN

Argyros’ black puffer from H&M may be simple, but the cropped style adds a modern flair to the look. And, of course, a black puffer is always in style in New York. Her outfit features light wash Levi’s jeans, which contrast with the darkness of her jackets, while her platform white Converse add additional brightness to her look. The Shakespeare and Co. tote is the perfect accessory to break up the color blocking of her black jacket, and is the perfect nod to her double major in psych and English. 

Find a jacket similar to Miranda’s here.  

A thrifted masculine leather moment by Nicolina Almon. JULIA HEMING/THE STATESMAN

The masculinity of leather is clear in this boxy jacket that Almon thrifted for just $20. Thrift stores are great places to find unique coats in winter and give a second life to pieces like this, minimizing the environmental impacts of leather. Her outfit has a masculine flair that is complemented by her flared jeans and pink backpack, which add a hint of femininity. 

Find a jacket similar to Nicolina’s here

A classic yet trendy wool trench by Jillian Carson. JULIA HEMING/THE STATESMAN

The longline style of wool trench cool, along with its neutral tones, give even the trendiest of looks a classy flair. Carson‘s flair jeans complement the straight lines of her L.L. Bean wool coat. The coat will never fall out of fashion and should be a staple piece in a New York closet for the chic versatility and warmth offered by a sleek style.

Find a coat like Jillian’s here.  

Chic (vegan) leather puffer for an elevated look by Samantha Agurirre. JULIA HEMING/THE STATESMAN

The leather puffer was the ‘it girl’ piece of the winter 2022 season. Agurirre’s Hollister leather pairs well with denim and works well to add a modern flair to the traditional puffers seen on New York streets. It adds an edgier look than just a simple puffer, and can be found in the neutral shades that were hottest this winter. Pair a simple leather puffer with pants and boots of the same shade for a monochromatic and warm look. 

Find a jacket similar to Samantha’s here.  

A unique textured blazer by Veronica Asturias. JULIA HEMING/THE STATESMAN

A blazer always elevates a look; adding a dash of girliness to simple looks makes them powerful and edgy. Veronica’s oversized and textured velvet blazer from Zara is the highlight of her outfit. The black monochromatic look shows off current winter trends, with her Tiffany necklace paying homage to the Y2K looks that are coming back in style. Pairing the oversized blazer with Dr. Martens accentuates the subtle masculine flair of this look. 

Find a blazer like Veronica’s here.  

Winter 2022 has showcased lots of neutral trends for coats with mixed textures like wool and leather. Try styling your favorite coat with a pair of straight or flared jeans, and add a french twist with a claw clip to add in a ‘90s or Y2K vibe. Remember, the most important part of picking a coat is staying warm, especially on a chilly Stony Brook campus.