NYS healthcare workers no longer held to booster mandate deadline, students still liable

Boxes of the COVID-19 Vaccine. NYS DOH have pushed back booster mandates for healthcare workers to prevent staff shortages. SGT. SEBASTIAN ROTHWYN VIA CC BY-ND 2.0

The New York State Department of Health (DOH) announced it will no longer enforce the booster mandate for healthcare workers that was scheduled to go into effect on Monday, Feb. 21, but undergraduate students must still submit proof by the same date.  

The decision was made in an effort to avoid staffing issues and give healthcare workers more time to get their booster shot. The DOH has not specified when a future vaccination deadline will be. The department has also canceled all labor relations meetings for unboosted healthcare workers. 

The booster requirement remains mandatory for all students. A campus-wide email was sent out by Stony Brook Emergency Operations on Feb. 18, notifying campus of the booster requirement change and causing some confusion amongst students online. All students enrolled in at least one in-person class, living on campus or accessing campus facilities or services are still required to submit proof of their booster upon eligibility.