Top 10 films to steal your heart this Valentine’s Day

The movie poster for “Valentine’s Day.” The movie is comprised of an ensemble cast and was directed by Garry Marshall. PUBLIC DOMAIN

Valentine’s Day means different things to everyone. For some, the day is filled with chocolate, flowers and maybe that special person you like — or even love. For others, it could mean staying indoors and avoiding anything pink, red or related to Hallmark. Do not worry, there are also ones who would rather stay indoors and avoid contact with this day at all cost. But there’s so much more to Valentine’s Day than people care to even think about: especially the movies! It is the one month, weekend or day when it just makes sense to load up on chocolate and watch romantic movies. Sometimes it is the little things that can get us into the holiday spirit.

There are a wide variety of movies — in this case, rom-coms — that can have you laughing one minute and then bawling your eyes out the next. The films create judgment-free zones in which viewers can just relax. “Good Will Hunting” will have you laughing (or sobbing) along with Matt Damon and his friends, while also providing insight through Robin Williams’ deep wisdom. Seriously, “How do you like them apples?” Then you can switch to “13 Going on 30,” remembering that you have to love who you are and let loose a little, with some giggles involved. I mean, who doesn’t want to be “30 and flirty and thriving?” These are just two of the many movies that are out there waiting for you.

There are so many movies that you could watch on this lovely Valentine’s Day, so why not make it a whole marathon? Here are the top 10 movies that deserve a chance to win over your heart this Valentine’s Day:

10. Crazy Rich Asians
This movie will have you laughing on the ground before you find yourself saying, “You go get them, girl!” The cast will steal your heart and definitely not give it back. It shows all the adventures of a relationship and love — including meeting your other half’s family — earning it a 90% score on Rotten Tomatoes.

9. Sabrina
Classic and elegant, Audrey Hepburn will sweep you off your feet with her movie “Sabrina.” Paris and New York have never felt more right for each other than in this film. Even though David Larrabee is whose heart Sabrina is after, Linus Larrabee (Humphrey Bogart) steals the show. “Sabrina” shows us that what we want the most in life might not be what we thought and can catch us by surprise.

8. The Bodyguard
Whitney Houston enchants viewers with her acting and resonating voice. The song “I Will Always Love You” describes this movie in a way only Houston can. Love may not always last in ways we dream of, but the memories are always there. Kevin Costner and Whitney Houston create a duo we never knew we needed. This romantic drama gives a thrill unlike any other.

7. Love Actually
‘All I want for Christmas is…’ to watch “Love Actually” on Valentine’s Day. Some may say this is a Christmas movie, but its storyline makes it perfect for any time of the year. It shows the agony and hope for love while following multiple storylines in London. The cast is sparkling with talent and they make it relatable to audiences everywhere. The scene when Nanny McPhee and Professor Snape are married is reason enough to give this lovely movie a try.

6. An Affair to Remember
“An Affair to Remember” is a classic released in 1957 that has been loved for generations. It has inspired many adaptations for later films, such as number three on this list. While only receiving a 65% on Rotten Tomatoes, the audience score was 87%. This romantic drama will keep you at the edge of your seat waiting for July 1 at 5 p.m. sharp. So, stop wasting time and watch the handsome Cary Grant and dazzling Deborah Kerr in a love affair to last a lifetime.

5. Notting Hill
Hugh Grant shows us all that there is hope for love to casually walk right into us — maybe while spilling some orange juice on a perfectly good outfit, too. Julia Roberts plays a super-star actress way out of a small travel bookstore owner’s league. But with circle glasses, an unwitting charm and the magic of “Notting Hill,” in London, anything is possible. The unlikely couple keeps you smitten for more.

4. Casablanca
Michael Curtiz created a classic that is perfect to make your heart ache. The film is an Academy Award winner in the best picture, best director and best writing categories. Released in 1942, the film starring Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman illustrates the dream for love and its ensuing heartache. The widely praised movie received a 99% on Rotten Tomatoes with a 95% audience score. After all, “Here’s looking at you, kid.”

3. Sleepless in Seattle
This adaptation of “An Affair to Remember” brings two people, worlds apart, together through the power of a radio show. The chemistry between Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan is unbeatable, even if their characters do not yet know it. Sometimes we all need a little push, and Valentine’s Day in New York is always a good idea.

2. Pretty Woman
A typical love story is far from the plot of this Garry Marshall film. Julia Roberts and Richard Gere create a “love” story that is bold, laughable and real. Not all Cinderella stories need a well-known outline and a glass slipper; some prefer a thigh-high boot held up by a safety pin. Sometimes all you need is a dream, a Hollywood street and lots of money — like Edward Lewis money.

1. Valentine’s Day
Garry Marshall steals the show again with the movie perfect for every Valentine’s Day. The film tracks a group of “strangers” on the illustrious holiday while showing the many adventures one day can create. Although most do not think about this movie, the all-star cast helps bring the reality of this whirlwind day to life, making it worth the watch. Every story is unique, but the writing brings them all together in surprising ways. The holiday’s haters and lovers alike are invited to a piñata smashing party, which serves as the film’s hilarious climax.

Whether you’ve got a good galentine’s day brunch planned for the morning, a reservation with your significant other for the evening, or you’re going to work because it will literally be a Monday, these movies are a good companion to all the chocolate you’ll be chowing down at the end of the night.