Stony Brook University Lookbook Vol. 1

The official graphic of Stony Brook Lookbook. The Lookbook is a monthly showcase of the fashion on campus. GRAPHIC BY JOCELYN CRUZ

Welcome to the first edition of the Stony Brook Lookbook, a monthly showcase of the on-campus fashion with breakdowns of each piece, student opinions on styling and a focus on current trends. 

A lug boot moment by Gwendolyn Louvier. JULIA HEMING/THE STATESMAN

This simple outfit showcases a stunning styling of fall trends, pairing a plaid skirt by American Eagle with a cream sweater from Urban Outfitters. Her ivory American Eagle socks complement the sweater and pair perfectly with nude lug boots, one of the hottest shoe trends of the fall season. Her tote bag from The New Yorker featured a pale pink claw clip, an ode to the ‘90s vibe that’s trending right now. 

“I feel like it’s good for fall, I wear this sweater all the time because it’s so neutral,” Louvier said. 

Sweater (vest) weather by Amber Leon. JULIA HEMING/THE STATESMAN

Leon’s academic look is assembled from pieces from Marshalls and Amazon, a reminder that there is always room for the college student budget in the world of fashion. Her trendy sweater vest in autumnal tones is complemented by a classic white button down and black pants, tied together by black combat boots, a fall staple. The boldest part of her ensemble was her hot pink graphic eyeliner, adding a subtle but fun pop of color. 

Amber Leon with hot pink eyeliner. JULIA HEMING / THE STATESMAN

“Honestly, I’ve been seeing this outfit a lot on Instagram and stuff like that, and that’s kind of my influence. I haven’t really worn these pieces together before this,” Leon said. 

Pumpkin Spice Overalls by Erin O’Fallamhain. JULIA HEMING / THE STATESMAN

O’Fallamhain’s burnt orange overalls popped over a simple white long sleeve crewneck — both from American Eagle — giving fall vibes and perfect functionality for a day of studying and classes. Her simple white Vans slip-ons paired perfectly with her look and her simply adorable clay pumpkin earrings complemented the overall look. 

Clay pumpkin earrings worn by Erin O’Fallamhain. JULIA HEMING/THE STATESMAN

To emulate O’Fallamhain’s charming ear accessories, shop Lindsay’s Ear Shop on Etsy.  

“I wanted to be comfortable today,” O’Fallamhain said, laughing. 

Edgy fall look by Kristelly Castro. JULIA HEMING/THE STATESMAN

Castro’s Calvin Klein turtleneck paired with velour Shein pants gave a darker fall vibe as they complemented with an oversized Zara button up shirt with delicate black graphic details. Chunky silver jewelry stood out boldly against the simple turtleneck; to craft your own grungy autumn ensemble, shop jewelry from Hard Jewelry here. The addition of an oversized linen shirt has been popular this fall, bringing a lighter and looser feeling to a typically warm-toned season. 

Kristelly Castro wearing chunky silver necklaces. JULIA HEMING/THE STATESMAN

“I’ve been wanting to wear my turtleneck for a while, I had this fit planned in my head I just hadn’t worn it yet,” said Castro. 

As is traditional in the fall, sweaters are the most popular piece of the season. This autumn, there is a particular interest in sweater vests, especially with a bold print, like stripes or argyle. Style it over a white tee shirt with comfortable black pants, like Kendall Jenner. In another celebrity homage, the style of Princess Diana is trending on TikTok, as bike shorts are paired with chunky sneakers, sunglasses and an oversized pullover sweatshirt; videos of these “fits” are posted to a sound by user @stringbeanboy13 as a way of crediting their casual looks to the fashion icon. Fall 2021 is shying away from the traditional shades of neutral browns and creams in favor of a bolder rainbow of bright hues that make the chilly season seem warmer than ever.