Francese’s hat trick lifts Stony Brook women’s soccer past Vermont

Grauate forward Alyssa Francese in a game against Cornell on Sept. 17.  Francese scored every goal on a road game against Vermont on Sept. 28. JOCELYN CRUZ /THE STATESMAN

Graduate forward Alyssa Francese scored every goal in the Stony Brook women’s soccer team’s 3-0 road win over the Vermont Catamounts on Sunday, Sept. 26, giving the Seawolves (5-4-1, 2-0 AE) their fourth straight victory while bringing Francese within five goals of setting the program career record.

The hat trick was the second of Francese’s career and the first by a Stony Brook player since she recorded one against Wagner in September 2017.

“Winning road games in the America East is never easy,” head coach Tobias Bischof said in a postgame press release. “But I thought we performed very well today. Alyssa has been great for us and she really showed her quality again today, scoring three goals.”

Senior forward Alicia D’Aoust recorded two assists, the first of her career, within the first 11 minutes of play. D’Aoust set Francese up with a lob pass from the right corner of the field seven minutes into the game and found her again three minutes later from the left corner. At that point, no one besides Francese had even taken a shot on goal.

Francese’s unassisted goal in the 73rd minute was the only other score of the game, thanks to junior goalkeeper Emerson Richmond Burke’s six saves and third shutout of the season. Dating back to last season, Burke has allowed one goal or less in 12 of her last 19 appearances. She currently owns an 0.790 save percentage on the season.

Erica Keller’s 45 career goals have stood as a Stony Brook record since 1998. With seven games remaining this year and 40 career goals so far, Francese has a realistic shot at breaking the record.

The travel to Newark for their next conference matchup against NJIT this Thursday, Sept. 30.