Sixth-seeded Stony Brook women’s soccer looking for redemption in CAA tournament

Head coach Tobias Bischof talks to his team after a match against Delaware on Sept. 14. Bischof is looking to lead his team to its first-ever postseason win in the Coastal Athletic Association. BRITTNEY DIETZ/THE STATESMAN

After clinching the sixth and final spot in the 2023 Coastal Athletic Association (CAA) women’s soccer tournament, the Stony Brook women’s soccer team will look to keep on going.

In their second consecutive CAA playoff appearance, the Seawolves (6-5-6, 4-4-4 CAA) will take on the third-seeded Monmouth Hawks (9-5-2, 8-2-2 CAA) in the quarterfinals on Thursday. The match will kick off at 4 p.m. at Hofstra Soccer Stadium — the home of the second-seeded Hofstra Pride.

During its previous clash with Monmouth back in September, Stony Brook fell short in a 1-0 defeat on the road. The Hawks’ narrow victory came courtesy of midfielder Liza Suydam’s game-winning goal in the 59th minute. Since becoming conference rivals, the Seawolves have lost both of their meetings with Monmouth 1-0.

Stony Brook will need to overcome the Hawks’ watertight defense if it wants to turn the tide. They possess the second-best defense in the CAA, conceding just 0.75 goals per match.

Monmouth’s backline is shaped up by five defenders, and the anchor of the group is 2022 All-CAA Second Team defender Lauren Bruno. Accompanying Bruno are defenders Gabby Allen, Clara Ford, Chloe Ferreira and Ava Allen.

In goal for the Hawks is 2022 All-CAA Second Team goalkeeper Cassie Coster, who has cemented herself as one of the best at her position in the conference. She has posted a staggering 10 clean sheets in 16 appearances this season, which leads the CAA. Her .826 save percentage is the fifth best in the conference.

Having never scored against Monmouth, the Seawolves will need their star attackers to show up. Scoring 1.706 goals per match, Stony Brook has the fourth-best attack in the CAA.

In the absence of forward Reilly Rich — the team’s top goalscorer — the likes of forwards Gabrielle Côté and Luciana Setteducate along with midfielder Linn Beck have all stepped up. Beck and Côté co-lead the team with four goals each. Beck also co-leads the team with four assists alongside defender Catharina von Drigalski. Setteducate has scored two goals and three assists this year.

The team has also gotten contributions from forwards Graceann Murphy and Ashley Bell, midfielder Ashley Manor and defender Kerry Pearson. Pearson has tallied a career-high three goals this year, while Bell, Manor and Murphy all have scored two goals apiece.

Despite their stout defense, the Hawks sit in the middle of the pack on offense. They have the seventh-best attack in the CAA, scoring 1.375 goals per match.

Leading Monmouth are Suydam and forward Loren Gehret — the team’s top goalscorers. Both co-lead the team with five goals apiece. Midfielder Julia Evernham has scored four goals this year. Gehret, Bruno and forward Lindsey Husic all co-lead the team with three assists.

Stony Brook’s defense will need to capitalize against the low-scoring Hawks. The Seawolves have conceded 1.18 goals per match, which is dead in the middle of the pack (seventh) in the CAA.

Von Drigalski and Pearson will likely have to be superb on defense, as defender Aneta Sovakova — the team’s only other full-time starter on the backline — is out for the season. Other defenders such as Angelina Lent, Grace Cagnina and Emma Beattie will have to step up. Midfielders Ashley Manor and Gabby Daniels have played defensive roles in the midfield as well and will look to help slow down Monmouth’s top scorers.

In goal for Stony Brook is goalkeeper Nicolette Pasquarella. She capped off a solid regular season with the third most saves (70) in the CAA, while also posting the fifth-best save percentage (.787). Pasquarella has been very reliable, but the team has been heavily reliant on her of late. Over the last four matches, opponents have averaged 15 shots and 7.75 shots on target per game against the Seawolves. Their backline and defensive midfielders will have to help lighten her load on Thursday.

The winner will move onto the semifinals, where they will meet the reigning conference champion — the Hofstra Pride — on their own home pitch. The Pride will be coming off a first-round bye. The match is scheduled for Sunday at 1 p.m.