Editorial: Saying goodbye to The Statesman in print

The Statesman logo. The Statesman will stop printing its newspapers indefinitely. STATESMAN FILE

More than 60 years ago, The Statesman, then known as The Sucolian, began delivering news to its campus community. Since that first physical issue was published in February 1958, the paper has grown with the Stony Brook community. We have reported on breaking news, looked into campus investigations, and held campus events. When the Covid-19 pandemic hit in March 2020, The Statesman stopped printing for the first time since its founding.

Now, in 2021, we must change in order to serve our campus community for another 60 years to come. 

Due to challenges brought on by the pandemic and the shifting business of journalism, The Statesman will stop producing its weekly newspaper version indefinitely.

This does not mean that our work is over; we will continue to serve our campus community through our website, social media and newsletters, which you may sign up for here

In lieu of the weekly newspaper’s departure, we’ll focus our efforts on a renewed digital strategy that not only maintains the high quality journalism associated with The Statesman, but also pushes to tell stories in the most effective way possible. We have and will continue to generate honest and award-winning content.

However, our physical presence, including our iconic newsstands, will continue. Students can pick up a Statesman To-Go each month, which will contain condensed versions of our most interesting stories from the previous month and exclusive content for print.

These developments are only the beginning of what we have in store for The Statesman. Although it was not a simple decision, the media world has consistently shown its ability to adapt; we are not exempt from this. After much deliberation with our staff and board, we believe that this is the best option.

We are grateful to The Statesman alumni who have paved the way for us to continue on the path of excellence. And we appreciate you, our readers, for following and supporting us for more than half a century.

But, as we bid farewell to the past, we can look forward with bated breath to the future. The Statesman may take on different forms, but its primary mission will always be the same — to inform and serve the Stony Brook community.