Stony Brook women’s soccer remains unbeaten at home after topping Maine

Forward Alyssa Francese during the game against Maine on Sept. 23, 2018. Francese will be returning as a graduate player in the Fall 2021 season. SASCHA ROSIN/STATESMAN FILE

On a rainy and windy Senior Day, the Stony Brook’s women soccer team hosted the Maine Black Bears on Sunday, March 28. The Seawolves won the match 3-1, remaining unbeaten at Kenneth P. LaValle Stadium this season in the team’s fourth consecutive victory.

“It was a really special weekend,” senior midfielder Chelsie DePonte said in a press release. “Our team did so much for us this weekend. Just getting the goal and putting our team in a great position was really special to do today.”

DePonte and graduate forward Alyssa Francese have already committed to returning in the Fall 2021 season as graduate students.

The Black Bears started the first half putting pressure and playing on the Seawolves’ side of the field. The match began to level out as the clock ticked; in the first 10 minutes of the game, Maine was able to have four shots on target while the Seawolves weren’t able to get a shot on net.

With a quick counterattack from the Seawolves in the 10th minute of the game, they were able to draw a penalty after a defensive foul from Maine junior defender Tiana Bucknor, who received a red card for her infraction.

After Bucknor’s ejection, Francese stepped up to convert the first shot of the game for the Seawolves. Given a penalty kick after being held in the box, she buried the ball into the back of the net. 

Stony Brook put its foot down on the gas pedal after Maine’s red card. The Seawolves’ confidence grew larger playing on the Black Bears’ side of the field. In the 38th minute, DePonte was able to get her head on the ball stemming from a free kick by sophomore center back Catharina Von Drigalski, putting the Seawolves up 2-0.

The Seawolves started the second half strong, wanting to put the game to rest. Stony Brook kept finding empty spaces from the extra-man advantage. In the 70th minute, a cross from senior forward Fanny Götesson found senior forward Rachel Florenz, who was able to get the header and increase the Seawolves’ lead to 3-0.

In the closing minutes of the match, the Black Bears were able to find a goal. Maine senior defender Jane Stevens beat a Seawolves defender on a header off of a free kick in the 88th minute.

Stony Brook remains the only team with an unbeaten conference record in the America East Division B. Having played its final regular season home game, the Seawolves will travel northbound to take on the Albany Great Danes on Sunday, April 4 at 2 p.m.