Stony Brook women’s soccer earns first win of season in conference opener

Rachel Florenz during a game against Fordham on Sept. 19, 2019. The senior forward scored in the 14th minute with the first goal of the game. JESS ESPOSITO/STATESMAN FILE

The Stony Brook women’s soccer team played a fantastic game against UMBC in its America East opener. The Seawolves played at home at the Kenneth P. LaValle Stadium and were able to come out victorious with their first win of the season, winning 3-1 on Sunday, March 7. The win brought Stony Brook’s overall record this season 1-2. 

“I think everyone had a great mindset today,” senior midfielder Chelsie DePonte said in a post-game press release. “We executed our game plan well and played for each other. We stayed calm and were able to put away some of our chances. It was great to get our first win during conference play. We’ll continue to build off of this.”

The Seawolves started the first half ready for business, having the majority of the possession in the first 10 minutes of the game. The Seawolves were shooting shot after shot on target, but UMBC senior goalkeeper Jade Wilkins made three saves in the first 10 minutes. 

In the 14th minute, senior forward Rachel Florenz was able to convert a rebound that came off Wilkins’ foot, making the score 1-0.

UMBC quickly retaliated in the 16th minute with a rocket of a shot from senior midfielder Erin Stevenson. Stevenson was able to find the back of the net out of nowhere from the center of the field, tying up the game 1-1.

The Seawolves’ offense kept putting pressure on the opposing team’s backline until the 21st minute, when Wilkins fouled the Seawolves inside the box, causing a penalty. Graduate student forward Alyssa Francese was able to convert the penalty by shooting the ball bottom left corner in the 23rd minute.

The Seawolves came back to score another goal in the 35th minute with DePonte, who was able to slip the ball past the keeper near the post and make the game 3-1.

“Our team was calm on the attack and found me, and I was able to keep it and get a shot off,” DePonte said. “Flo did her thing and followed up, which is what we talked a lot about today. It was a good team goal.”

In the second half of the game, things started to settle down, with both teams equally putting pressure on the opposing team.

UMBC almost got a lifeline with a shot in the 71st minute, but it hit the crossbar.

The Seawolves return to action on March 14 against Binghamton.