SBU police respond to potential bomb threat in the chemistry building

The university police responding to a bomb threat in the chemistry building on Jan. 13. After investigation, police found no threat. RABIA GURSOY/THE STATESMAN

Stony Brook University police responded to a call regarding a potential bomb threat in the chemistry building around 7:30 a.m. on Jan. 13. 

“Early this morning, University Police were notified regarding a bomb threat in the Chemistry Building,” Interim Chief of Police and Assistant Vice President for Campus Safety Lawrence Zacarese wrote to The Statesman later in the day. “After a thorough investigation, including electronic surveillance and building access records, the police determined that there was not a threat and regular activity could resume. “

The response triggered a campus safety emergency message to stay clear from the area, and also led to a shut down of John S. Toll drive, the road adjacent to the building. A message was sent nearly an hour later around 8:40 a.m. notifying the campus that the investigation had concluded and that normal operations could resume.