USG Election Results in a Mistake

The Undergraduate Student Government mistakenly announced on its website on Friday afternoon that the winner of the sophomore class representative position was Adil Hussain by 12 votes.

The original posting was amended at 10 p.m. on Saturday and it was announced that Christopher Priore of the United Students Party was in fact the winning candidate in a close 128-to-116 vote.

The original and corrected results were posted by David Mazza, USG’s Vice President of Communication and Public Relations.

According to Mazza, USG Director of Event Programming Moiz Khan pointed out the inaccurate post. Mazza said that he was in a rush to post the results and simply “saw the numbers in reverse.”

“It was really just an honest mistake,” Mazza said.

Priore said that no one from USG contacted him to tell him of the altered result.

“I had just got out of the shower and checked my phone only to find out from a member of The Statesman that they needed a statement and a photo to print because I had won,” Priore said.

Thinking that the newspaper had made a mistake in reading the results, he rechecked the website and saw that the number of votes he had received had been switched with Hussain’s.

Mazza said that he did not think to inform Priore and Hussain of the mistake because he figured that most people were in the USG office when the results came out and would know what the real results were.

“I’m thrilled to hear that the originally-posted result was a mistake,” said Deborah Machalow, who has held the position of executive vice president since former EVP Alex Dimitriyadi’s resignation went into effect on March 8. “Chris has experience with Concerts and has big plans for improving student life.” 

“He’ll prove to be an amazing asset to the Executive Council and the USG as a whole,” Machalow added. 

Hussain was contacted for a comment but did not respond.