Campus residences will stay open through spring semester

Move in day for the Fall 2019 semester on August 25, 2019. For the remainder of the spring semester dormitories and residential and campus services will remain open, according to a Campus Residences email sent to student residents on Wednesday, March 11. SARA RUBERG/THE STATESMAN

Dormitories and residential and campus services will remain open through the remainder of spring semester, according to a Campus Residences email sent to student residents on Wednesday, March 11.

More than 10,000 undergraduate and graduate students live on campus.

The email from Dean of Students, Rick Gattaeu, and Assistant Vice President of Campus Housing, Dallas Bauman, said that “moving out is a personal choice” and that students who leave are “financially responsible for all Spring 2020 housing (and if applicable meal plan) charges.”

Interim President, Michael Bernstein, announced earlier today that starting on March 23, all classes will be taught online.

Residents are banned from hosting off-campus guests or visitors at all times, according to the email. Campus Residences instituted the measure as a safety precaution. Students may only invite guests over to assist move-out.

The email also noted that students who plan to stay on-campus must fill out a spring housing intent form on the Stony Brook Campus Housing Portal.

The room selection schedule for the 2020-21 school year will remain the same, according to the spring housing intent form. The form also asks students who indicate they will be traveling over spring break to input their dates of travel.

It pointed out that U.S. travel restrictions could be implemented by the government over spring break that might prevent students from returning to campus.

The U.S. suspended all travel from Europe on Wednesday night, and it’s uncertain whether those restrictions will become more stringent as the weeks go on.

The email and the form do not state when students must complete it by.