Five new people in Suffolk test positive for COVID-19, three quarantined at Stony Brook University Hospital

The Stony Brook University Hospital. Five new positive cases of COVID-19 in Suffolk County were confirmed by Suffolk County Executive, Steve Bellone, on Wednesday morning — increasing the county total to six. EMMA HARRIS/STATESMAN FILE

Five new positive cases of COVID-19 in Suffolk County were confirmed by Suffolk County Executive, Steve Bellone, on Wednesday morning — increasing the county total to six.

Three of the new patients are Brookhaven Town residents isolated at Stony Brook University Hospital. They include a man in his early 20s, a man in his late 30s and a man in his early 30s.

The other two patients are a Southold-woman in her 20s, currently in isolation at her home, and a man in his 80s, isolated at St. Catherine’s Hospital.

All the cases are community spread, Bellone confirmed on Wednesday. He also said that young people take on a smaller risk than the older population and urged older residents to avoid large gatherings where they could potentially be exposed to the virus.

“We know that most cases involving the coronavirus, 80% of the people, will either be asymptomatic or will have relatively mild symptoms; and that there are certain groups that are more susceptible and groups for which this virus will be much more dangerous,” Bellone said.

Seven other individuals in Suffolk are under mandatory quarantine for possible exposure to the coronavirus, due to close contact with a positive case.

The first case, a man in his early 40s announced on Monday, is being kept in isolation at Stony Brook Southampton Hospital. Bellone said that his condition is improving.

The latest numbers of confirmed coronavirus cases from the New York State Department of Health is 173, not including the five new cases in Suffolk County and other new cases statewide that were announced this morning by multiple local officials.