USG announces Brookfest artist reveal postponed in wake of Pop Smoke's death

The cover of Pop Smoke’s newest album “Meet the Woo v. 2.” Pop Smoke was murdered in his home on Feb. 19. PUBLIC DOMAIN

Brooklyn rapper Bashar Jackson, professionally known as Pop Smoke was slated to be one of the artists performing at this year’s Brookfest concert according to a statement released by Undergraduate Student Government (USG) earlier today. 

Jackson was tragically murdered this morning in a home invasion of his Hollywood Hills residence.

Pop Smoke, best known for his breakout single “Welcome to the Party,” was considered an up and coming new talent at the age of 20 years old. His second mixtape titled, “Meet the Woo 2,” which featured artists such as Quavo, A Boogie wit da Hoodie, Gunna and others, had just been released on Feb. 7. Just days before his death, the mixtape reached No. 7 on the Billboard Top 200. 

His debut album, “Meet the Woo,” has over 280 million streams worldwide. 

In their statement, USG said that “this tragedy will postpone our artist reveal, and we will move forward with the process of choosing another artist.” 

The announcement was initially planned for late February, according to USG Vice President of Student Life Hadi Mohammed. It is unclear when the announcement will now occur as USG will be choosing another artist for the concert prior to making the announcement.